Ban plastic straws in the YRDSB

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!


The purpose of this petition is to reduce the use of plastic in our schools to help with the issue of plastic pollution. Straws are one of the most common single-use plastic products. In America alone, we use around 500 million plastic straws each day.

Plastic pollution in the oceans is one of the largest issues in our environment. However, many people don't understand how drastic the issue has become. According to the Earth Day Network since the 1950s, we have produced a total of 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic. Each year at least 8 million metric tons of plastic end up in our oceans. Our society produces large amounts of plastic and only 9% of it is actually recycled where the other 91% is either incinerated or thrown in oceans and landfills.

Our marine ecosystems are greatly damaged by plastic pollution. According to Greenpeace, 90% of seabirds have plastic in their guts, 1 in 3 sea turtles have eaten plastic and 1 in 2 whales or dolphins have ingested plastic. Since plastic cannot biodegrade in the ocean it breaks down into a microscopic size and is referred to as microplastics. These microplastics are ingested by all marine life, even the fish we eat have a chance to have plastic in their bodies.

Aside from being ingested the plastic debris in our seas have trapped animals and have changed our beaches, the ocean floor and have even created tiny islands. Currently, in the Pacific Ocean, we have an island called the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" three times the size of France and made up of 1.8 trillion pieces of plastic

There are thousands of ways to reduce plastic in our lives and any change matters. I want to help out in our community by stopping the use of straws in our schools to try and reduce the issue.

We need your help to save our oceans. Start here, by signing this petition. Change your life and look at what extra plastic products you take. Create Change in your community.

Thank you for reading about our cause.

Please sign this petition and share it with your friends and family.



Today: Jordan is counting on you

Jordan Ho needs your help with “corrie.mcbain@yrdsb.ca: Ban plastic straws in the YRDSB”. Join Jordan and 158 supporters today.