Pass The Connecticut Against Gun Violence Legislative Proposal
This petition had 657 supporters
We respect the rights of gun owners and accept the Second Amendment as the law of the land. We are also mindful of what Supreme Court Justice Scalia stated in the syllabus of the Supreme Court’s brief on the issue: ‘it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever, in any manner whatsoever, and for whatever purpose.
Please enact legislation that:
1. Strengthens our assault weapons ban with a focus on improving current list and strengthening functionality features; apply “one military feature” test to definition of assault weapons. Bans possession and sale. Existing weapons must be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or shipped or sold out of state.
2. Bans large capacity ammunition magazines of more than 7 rounds. Existing magazines must be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or shipped or sold out of state.
3. Requires universal background checks on ALL sales and transfers, including long guns.
4. Requires registration of all handguns with annual renewal, including updated background check; stipulation that all handguns are still in the possession of original purchaser or transferee; explanation for any handgun not being in their possession. Require safety inspection every three years. Fee on initial registration and renewal to mitigate expense.
5. Make gun owners liable for negligent storage if any person gains access to firearms and injures himself or another person or causes damage to property. The violation would be a Class D felony.
6. Requires a permit to purchase and carry all guns, including long guns, and to purchase ammunition.
7. Restricts handgun sales to one gun/month.
Today: Connecticut Against Gun Violence is counting on you
Connecticut Against Gun Violence needs your help with “Connecticut General Assembly: Pass The Connecticut Against Gun Violence Legislative Proposal”. Join Connecticut Against Gun Violence and 656 supporters today.