Petition Closed

Connect Wheeler Road to Hwy 40 for the new Daniels Canyon Elementary school!!

This petition had 143 supporters


Please sign this petition for the school board to pay their portion to complete the road to Highway 40, creating a second, fully usable entrance to the new Daniels Canyon Elementary school and making it safer for ALL!!

The original plan, WHICH IS NOT HAPPENING NOW, was for Wheeler Road to connect with Hwy 40 (even in the city's general plan from 2003 it connects), obviously making A LOT less traffic and safety issues through our neighborhood when the school opens. The RV developer is slated to pay for approximately 70% of the road (agreed upon when the zone change happened for their expansion and in their developer agreement) and the city and school district had to split the remaining approximate 30%.

The school district did not want to pay their portion, even though they would've known they had to pay when they were planning to build the school. The school district then paid for a traffic study of our neighborhood to prove it "wasn't needed" to take Wheeler Road out to the Highway 40 and prove it "wouldn't directly benefit the school" so they wouldn't have to pay, even just their approximatey 15%. (slightly ridiculous considering the school isn't open yet, so the traffic study is a moot point once it opens and increases traffic).

In the mean time, ALL traffic, including ALL BUSES from kids getting bused from Daniel and east side of Highway 40, ALL school traffic will be going through Wheeler Park Subdivision with ONLY ONE entrance to the school at Wheeler Road and 500 East. Hence why roads are being resurfaced the last two weeks.

I know a lot of people over in Daniel think that they will be able to drive down Ranch drive to the back of the school. I have been told, and confirmed again today, that it is still legally, through court actions of many years ago, NOT a possibility. It is an emergency entrance ONLY and will be gated off. Which means there is literally ONE entrance to the school. So all traffic from Daniel will have to go around to Daniel road, then Wheeler road, or Airport road and drive through the neighborhood. 

With so many kids that will be walking, riding bikes, etc to the school within the neighborhood, plus the amount of increased traffic, it seems to be a real safety concern. Unfortunately we have ALL seen close calls around schools and know we need to be concerned about safety. We can only hope and pray that they realize the safety issues it creates when there is only one entrance to the school.

Please sign this petition for the school board to pay their portion to complete the road to Highway 40, creating a second, fully usable entrance to the school and making it safer for ALL!! 

This will also be delivered to the city so they will know that citizens are supportive of the road being built!!



Today: Marianne B is counting on you

Marianne B Allen needs your help with “Connect Wheeler Road to Hwy 40 for the new Daniels Canyon Elementary school!!”. Join Marianne B and 142 supporters today.