(Note: Click the "Petition Letter" tab to view the wording of the actual petition that we are asking you to sign. Signing the petition doesn't mean that you necessarily agree with any of the points outlined below. The petition asks only that the school committees reject the current outsourcing proposal and examine all viable options.)
The Concord Public Schools (CPS) and Concord-Carlisle Regional School District (CCRSD) school administration is recommending to the Concord School Committee and the Concord-Carlisle Regional School Committee that the district should outsource school transportation services starting in July 2012 as a result of the current transportation facility being demolished as part of the building of the new CCRSD High School.
The list below summarizes some of the most important reasons we believe you might want to oppose this plan and sign our petition:
1. The decision-making process that led to the recommendation was rushed and overly secretive, excluding community and parental feedback and ideas. In addition, the procurement and bidding process that selected First Student seems to be of questionable legality, and at the very least has violated the spirit of the law.
2. The school administration has not done due diligence in fully exploring all viable alternatives to outsourcing and instead has chosen single-mindedly to pursue outsourcing since last summer. Other viable options have not been fully examined.
3. The school administration's cost analysis of outsourcing versus keeping the service in-house is deeply flawed. The alleged "cost savings" between our current system and an outsourced service simply do not hold up to scrutiny. There are significant errors and omissions that have been identified.
4. The school administration is recommending that we sacrifice a known high level of safe service for our children that we have been using for decades and trade it for a new service of questionable quality and safety, thus potentially putting our children at risk and disrupting the learning process by not providing reliable and safe transportation to and from school.
5. The disruption to the community and to the livelihoods of town employees -- many of whom have provided decades of loyal service to the community -- will create acrimony that will linger and poison the administration's dealings with the community and school employees for years to come.
We also urge you to contact the school committees directly to voice your concerns as soon as possible. Contact info is as follows:
firstname.lastname@example.org (CPS School Committee)
email@example.com (CC Regional School Committee)
Concord School Committee or Concord-Carlisle Regional School Committee
120 Meriam Rd.
Concord, MA 01742
Vote NO on the School Transportation Outsourcing Recommendation
We, the undersigned, call on the Concord School Committee and Concord-Carlisle Regional School Committee to reject the School District's recommendation to outsource school transportation services beginning in July 2012.
As concerned citizens and community members, we urge the School Committees instead to step back and fully evaluate all viable solutions to the loss of the school transportation facility rather than rushing into an ill-considered and ill-conceived outsourcing contract that would eliminate the current school Transportation Department while not serving the best interests of either the taxpayers or the schoolchildren of our communities.