Make Drowning Prevention Legal
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
STOP Home Owner Associations (HOA) from preventing or limiting the type of Pool Safety devices that homeowners can use to protect children.
- 107 children drowned in Texas in 2016, with 73 already in 2017
- Drowning is the #1 cause of accidental death in children under 5
- According to the CDC, residential (home) pools are the #1 most common drowning site for children under 5
- According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), 4,100 submersions (near drownings) per year
- The American Association of pediatrics states that swim lessons alone will not prevent drowning or near drowning, especially in young children
- 2/3rds of children who drown, are excellent swimmers in close proximity to friends and family
Without Federal or State legislation, HOA’s can endanger your children by drafting or interpreting deed restrictions that limit or prevent homeowners from installing the safest Pool Safety Fencing and Devices for their home and family. The type of pool fencing should depend on the property and individual family’s need (Not HOA aesthetics).
If HOA’s are allowed to determine Safety for your family, they can then enforce violations including fines and even a Lien on your home. Believe or not, this is happening today.
What Can You Do?
By signing this petition, you can show your support against HOA’s putting children at risk and ask state representatives to put a stop to this dangerous practice.
The CPSC, American Red Cross, and CDC provide a Minimum recommendation for Pool Safety Barriers:
Pools and spas should have 4-sided isolation fencing at least four feet in height, with self-closing and self-latching gates. Isolation fencing completely surrounds a pool, isolating it from the home, yard, and adjacent properties. Isolation fencing does NOT use the home as a barrier.
Swim lessons, CPR Certification, Door Alarms, and Pool Barriers with Self-latching gates should be used together for the best protection.
Today: Concerned Parents is counting on you
Concerned Parents needs your help with “Concerned Parents : Make Drowning Prevention Legal”. Join Concerned Parents and 1,229 supporters today.