Co-name Claver Place with Weusi Way
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO CO-NAME THIS STREET!! Please sign! Especially Community Board 3 Residents!
Jitu K. Weusi (1939-2013) was a longtime educator and activist for social justice. A lifelong resident of Bedford Stuyvesant, he loved his people and was known and loved in communities throughout and beyond Brooklyn NY. He actively and collectively worked to uplift his community and people of African descent through education reform, cultural awareness, and Afrocentric pride.
- Co-founded Uhuru Sasa Shule, one of the first independent black schools in the country.
- Founding member of the ATA which fought Ocean Hill/ Brownsville which led to nationwide education reform.
- Organized at the Brooklyn Chapter of C.O.R.E for over 20 years.
- The East Organization founded Kanunuana(Uhuru Food Coop), one of the first food coops in the country.
- He co-founded organizations such as Central Brooklyn Jazz Consortium, NBUF, and Unity Food Coop.
- Instructor at NYC Technical College.
- Initiated proposal for what eventually became Medgar Evers College
Today: Kojo is counting on you
Kojo Campbell needs your help with “Community Board 3: Co-name Claver Place with Weusi Way”. Join Kojo and 418 supporters today.