- Bechara Choucair, M.D.Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health
- Brookins, Jr., HowardAldeman of 21st Ward
- Burke, Edward M.Alderman of 14th Ward
- Burns, William D.Alderman of 4th Ward
- Foulkes, ToniAlderwoman of 15th Ward
- Lane, LonaAlderwoman of 18th Ward
- Laurino, MargaretAlderowoman of 39th Ward
- Mell, Richard F.Alderman of 33rd Ward
- Munoz, RicardoAlderman of 22nd Ward
- Osterman, HarryAlderman of 48th Ward
- Reboyras, ArielAlderwoman of 30th Ward
- Reilly, BrendanAlderman of 42nd
- Suarez, Regner RayAlderman of 31st Ward
- Thomas, Latasha R.Alderwoman 17th Ward
- Waguespack, ScottAlderman of 32nd Ward
- Solis, DanielAlderman of 25th Ward
- Patrick J. O'ConnorAlderman of 40th Ward
- Balcer, JamesAlderman of 11th Ward
- Beale, AnthonyAlderman of 9th Ward
- Zalewski, Michael R.Alderman of 23rd Ward
- Tunney, ThomasAlderman of 44th Ward
- Austin, Carrie M.Alderwoman of 34th Ward
- Burnett, Jr., WalterAlderman of 27th Ward
- Cappleman, JamesAlderman of 46th ward
- Cardenas, George A.Alderman of 12th Ward
- Cochran, WillieAlderman of 20th Ward
- Colón, ReyAlderman of 35th Ward
- Dowell, PatAlderman of 3rd Ward
- Fioretti, BobAlderman of 2nd Ward
- Hairston, Leslie A.Alderwoman of 5th Ward
- Harris, Michelle A.Alderwoman of 8th Ward
- Jackson, SandiAlderwoman of 7th Ward
- Maldonado, RobertoAlderman of 26th Ward
- Mitts, EmmaAlderwoman of 37th Ward
- Joseph A. MooreAlderman of 49th Ward
- Moreno, Proco JoeAlderman of 1st Ward
- Pope, JohnAlderman of 10th Ward
- Thompson, JoannAlderwoman of 16th Ward
- Graham, Deborah L.Alderwoman of 29th ward
STOP THE CLOSING & PRIVATIZATION OF CHICAGO'S PUBLIC MENTAL HEALTH CLINICS!
The City of Chicago only has 12 public mental health clinics. This is not enough to meet demand, especially as the economy gets worse and more people need help. These clinics aren’t just for patients to get medicine, they are places where people have community, where people feel at home in their own neighborhoods or close by.
Shutting them down means saving now on services only to spend more later when patients end up in jail, on the street, in emergency rooms, or dead. And now The city budget would CLOSE 1/2 OF OUR MENTAL HEALTH CLINICS AND PRIVATIZE ALL OTHER CITY CLINICS!
This is not the first attempt to close Chicago public mental health clinics. In 2009, Chicago made billing errors and lost out on millions of dollars in state funding, causing them to try to close four south side mental health clinics all in already under-served communities. We had protests, town hall meetings, city council hearings and even a sit in at Mayor Daley’s office to stop the clinics from closing.
And now it's happening----and all to save 2.2 million from Chicago's over 6 BILLION DOLLAR budget.
This is NOT how you balance a budget! TELL THE ALDERMEN AND ALDERWOMEN OF THE CITY OF CHICAGO NOT TO CLOSE AND PRIVATIZE OUR PUBLIC HEALTH CLINICS!
- Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health
Bechara Choucair, M.D.
- Aldeman of 21st Ward
Brookins, Jr., Howard
- Alderman of 14th Ward
Burke, Edward M.
- Alderman of 4th Ward
Burns, William D.
- Alderwoman of 15th Ward
- Alderwoman of 18th Ward
- Alderowoman of 39th Ward
- Alderman of 33rd Ward
Mell, Richard F.
- Alderman of 22nd Ward
- Alderman of 48th Ward
- Alderwoman of 30th Ward
- Alderman of 42nd
- Alderman of 31st Ward
Suarez, Regner Ray
- Alderwoman 17th Ward
Thomas, Latasha R.
- Alderman of 32nd Ward
- Alderman of 25th Ward
- Alderman of 40th Ward
Patrick J. O'Connor
- Alderman of 11th Ward
- Alderman of 9th Ward
- Alderman of 23rd Ward
Zalewski, Michael R.
- Alderman of 44th Ward
- Alderwoman of 34th Ward
Austin, Carrie M.
- Alderman of 27th Ward
Burnett, Jr., Walter
- Alderman of 46th ward
- Alderman of 12th Ward
Cardenas, George A.
- Alderman of 20th Ward
- Alderman of 35th Ward
- Alderman of 3rd Ward
- Alderman of 2nd Ward
- Alderwoman of 5th Ward
Hairston, Leslie A.
- Alderwoman of 8th Ward
Harris, Michelle A.
- Alderwoman of 7th Ward
- Alderman of 26th Ward
- Alderwoman of 37th Ward
- Alderman of 49th Ward
Joseph A. Moore
- Alderman of 1st Ward
Moreno, Proco Joe
- Alderman of 10th Ward
- Alderwoman of 16th Ward
- Alderwoman of 29th ward
Graham, Deborah L.
The City of Chicago only has 12 public mental health clinics, and the decision to close 6 of them and privatize the rest will have an extremely negative impact. Doing this will mean that the many people that depend on the medications, counseling, and other services our mental health clinics provide will have nowhere to go.
Shutting these clinics down means saving on services temporarily-----only to spend more later when patients end up in jail, on the street, in emergency rooms, or deceased. Suzanne Andriukaitis, the Executive Director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness of Greater Chicago recently stated that it costs $500 a day to keep someone in a hospital, $70 a day to keep them in jail, and just $25 a day to provide them care in the community. Keeping Chicago's public mental health facilities open and public is the most affordable option for our budget.
The City of Chicago cannot afford cuts to it's public mental health facilities. A much better solution would be to leverage the yacht tax and to eliminate the newly acquired expenses & surveys from the Department of Health to aid in keeping these facilities open as proposed by the Illinois Nurses Association (INA), Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP), and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Only you as the Commissioner of Health, members of the Committee on Health & Environmental Protection, and members of the Committee on Finance have the power to ensure that the people that require the services and jobs of Chicago's public mental health facilities will be able to continue to utilize them.
Please, make sure our public mental health facilities stay operational and stay public.
Lilangel Logan started this petition with a single signature, and now has 51 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.