College of Dupage : Gender Neutral Bathrooms in the BIC
This petition had 292 supporters
Gender neutral bathrooms are a way to create a safer campus environment for trans* and gender nonconforming students, staff, faculty and community members at COD. This is also a way to show the Trans* and gender nonconforming individuals that they are welcomed and wanted in our multi cultural school. For Trans* and gender nonconforming individuals, Male or Female only bathrooms can be spaces where they are met with intimidation, harassment, run-ins with security, and/or violence. These occurrences happen when people using the restroom police the gender of others based on binary assumptions and expectations of who men and women are and what they look like. This policing can effect trans* individuals, but also cisgender individuals (those who are not trans*) who present or express their gender in ways that are not culturally normative. This phenomenon is commonly referred to in gender minority communities as "The Bathroom Problem," and is an experience that most trans* and gender nonconforming people have encountered, often repeatedly, in their lives.
WHAT IS “GENDER IDENTITY”?
• “Gender identity” refers to how people see and identify themselves; for example, some people identify as female; some people identify as male; some people as a combination of genders; as a gender other than male or female; or as no gender. For example, transgender girls identify as girls but were classified as males when they were born. Transgender boys identify as boys but were classified female when they were born. Everyone has a gender identity.
• “Gender Expression” refers to how people express their gender identity. Everyone expresses their gender identity in different ways: for example, in the way they dress, the length of their hair, the way they act or speak and in their choice of whether or not to wear make-up.
WHAT DOES “TRANSGENDER” AND “GENDER NONCONFORMING” MEAN?
• ”Transgender” is a general term used to describe people whose gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth.
• “Gender nonconforming” refers to people who do not follow other people’s ideas or stereotypes about how they should look or act based on the female or male sex they were assigned at birth.
• “Transgender” and ”Gender nonconforming” are umbrella terms that often encompass other terms such as transsexual, cross dresser, gender queer, femme queen, A.G., Two Spirit, and many more. It is important to refer to people with the term they prefer.
• “Gender Questioning” People who are questioning their gender identity might be wondering whether they identify as a boy, a girl or another gender. They might also be experimenting with different genders.
The reason I am starting this petition is to protect people in the future from things like oppression, and bullying at the College Of Dupage. This multicutural school is one I am proud to be at and I believe that we are ready to be all inclusive.
Today: Bradley is counting on you
Bradley Setter needs your help with “College of Dupage : Gender Neutral Bathrooms in the BIC”. Join Bradley and 291 supporters today.