Mimico 2013 - Where we are now
The plans in place for the Western Waterfront have failed to achieve world class standards. Heights and densities in these plans have largely been ignored resulting in a virtual wall of towers along our waterfront. The latest condo is advertised as the tallest waterfront building in Canada at 64 stories.
The Mimico 20/20 Secondary Plan is more of the same of what has already been built on our waterfront; however our plan has less parkland, and even more towers.
We ask the Chief Toronto Planner Jennifer Keesmaat and Toronto City Council to improve the Mimico 20/20 Plan by:
1. Conducting a design review – the plan must require developers to add new park space, ensure public access to the water’s edge and create a public realm (streets, promenades) that encourage a lively active waterfront
2. Fixing Zoning Bylaws - to include heights restrictions (12-14 storeys) and a density cap of max. 1.5
3. Respecting existing neighbourhood - build 20% family units, preserve the heritage and character of Mimico
4. Stimulating economic vitality - ensure the new waterfront neighbourhood is 100% mixed use
5. Funding Transit – provide residents with an update on how transit will be expanded and funded to meet the thousands of new residents on the waterfront
THE PEOPLE OF TORONTO DESERVE A LIVABLE, WALK-ABLE, HISTORIC MIMICO BY THE LAKE –
A PROUD DESTINATION ON THE WESTERN WATERFRONT.
"... It’s one of the most egregious, terrible examples of lack of any kind of decent planning one can think of.” Ken Greenberg, Waterfront Architect and Urban Planner The Toronto Star 2012
Visit http:/www.codebluewestto.com to find out more.
PLEASE NOTE: When you sign this petition, it automatically sends an email on your behalf to Toronto City Council. Be sure to add your comments under "Why are you signing?" to personalize your letter to the Mayor and the city councillors.