Stop destruction of Musgrave field AND support childcare!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
DID YOU KNOW...?
► The School District plans to build TWO 30’ x 60’ buildings on Willows School’s Musgrave field for childcare facilities to open this September. This will double the number of detached buildings on this site.
ISSUE: More childcare spaces are definitely needed in the Oak Bay area, BUT Willows School’s Musgrave field is the WRONG location... and here’s why:
* DESTROYING A FIELD needed for students and the community: Willows is the largest elementary school in the District and is overcrowded… meaning, among other things, students get just one gym class a week! Outdoor space plays an important part in their active day. These new buildings would leave less than half of Musgrave field for students and community sports.
* TRAFFIC! The traffic around Willows Elementary is dangerous and chaotic during drop off and pick up times. Adding on-site daycare would escalate this terrible situation. Oak Bay Police and Fire have been concerned about the traffic situation for some time. This is a big safety issue.
SOLUTIONS: WHY add traffic to an already congested area? WHY destroy a school field, removing community green space? WHY create a “trailer park” at a neighbourhood school?
There ARE solutions!
1. Uplands Elementary School on Henderson Rd. Number one alternative location.
- Closed years ago – now used by international students who do not use the fields
- Convenient, easily accessible location for parents
- Land is already owned by the School District and is not being used
- Plenty of existing on-site parking.
2. Richmond Elementary School: Second alternative location for planned daycare facilities.
- Closed years ago – talk is that this school may need to re-open to take pressure off Oaklands and Willows schools, BUT there is still plenty of available space on the back side
- Convenient and nearby location for Oak Bay parents
- Land already owned by the School District.
► With excellent alternative locations... we need to make our voices heard.
► WHAT CAN I DO? Time is running out, as the district is fast tracking these buildings! Please call and/or write the school district and Oak Bay Council ASAP and let them know:
1. That you support childcare
2. That this is the wrong place because Willows School and playgrounds are already overcrowded.
- Jordan Watters, Chair, Victoria School Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Walsh, Secretary Treasurer, SD61: email@example.com ph: 250-475-4106
- Chuck Morris, Director of Facilities, SD61: firstname.lastname@example.org ph: 250-920-3400 - Oak Bay Council: email@example.com
Please take action ASAP!
Today: Lise is counting on you
Lise Johnson needs your help with “Cmorris@sd61.bc.ca: Stop destruction of Musgrave field”. Join Lise and 780 supporters today.