Restore democracy to North Lincolnshire
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Our democracy is being threatened.
The ruling group of our county are attempting to hamstring our local democracy by attacking one of our most inalienable possessions as free citizens: the right to petition the authorities for a redress of our grievances.
This is the problem we face:
- Petitions must now have 6,400 signatures before they can be presented - more than four times the previous number of 1,500.
- Anyone who owns a business inside the county, but lives just outside, is disqualified, despite paying business rates. This is a form of taxation without representation.
- Anyone who works inside the county, but lives just outside, is disqualified, despite working hard to contribute to our local area.
- Anyone under the age of 18 is disqualified: at a time when the youth are disenfranchised from politics and services for children are under threat, disqualifying the disaffected users of these services, many of whom can work and pay tax, is unacceptable.
- Signatures are disqualified unless one's full postal address, including postcode, is provided.
This means, even if you work hard to make invaluable contributions to our local economy, your opinion no longer matters. If you happen to be under 18 years of age, your opinion no longer matters.
Your say in how we shape our collective future as proud residents of North Lincolnshire is under threat.
We, the undersigned, would like to see the immediate repeal of these new measures and the reinstatement of those which preceded them, in order that petitioning for a redress of our grievances remains fair and democratic to the residents of North Lincolnshire.
Today: Paul is counting on you
Paul Johnson needs your help with “Cllr Rob Waltham MBE: Restore democracy to North Lincolnshire”. Join Paul and 17 supporters today.