Support a leaf blower by-law for Lincoln, MA
This petition made change with 212 supporters!
Fellow Lincoln, Massachusetts residents: At our March 23 Town Meeting we will have the opportunity to vote on a by-law to place reasonable limits on gas powered leaf blowers. As a citizen who cares about the health of the community and our shared environment, I am hosting this petition. The purpose is to gather signatures to show support for this proposed by-law. As our civic leaders consider this matter, they are interested to know if it has broad public support. Consider these reasons to sign the petition and demonstrate your support:
Gas-powered leaf blowers -- being used around our neighborhoods, schools, and public spaces -- generate:
1) Noise that far exceeds health and safety standards
2) Toxic, carcinogenic air pollution
3) Carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas
4) Fuel spillage and waste that contaminate our soil and water
The use of gas leaf blowers comes with high costs to our health and environment and interferes with the enjoyment of our homes and community. Legislation limiting their use has been enacted in over 150 communities in the US.
Many landscapers in Lincoln continue to use two-stroke, gas-powered leaf blowers.
After considerable research and consultation, Lincoln’s Leaf Blower Study Committee, a subcommittee of the Conservation Commission, is proposing a by-law that would regulate the use of leaf blowers as follows:
1) Gas leaf blowers may be used during specified weeks for spring and fall clean-ups.
2) Electric leaf blowers may be used during the spring, summer and fall.
3) No leaf blowers may be used during the winter.
A public meeting will be held at 7 pm, February 28th in the Donaldson Room at Town Hall to discuss the proposal. I urge all residents to attend.
Please indicate if you agree with the intent of this by-law to improve public health, environment, and quality of life for residents in Lincoln by signing this petition. Important: this petition is intended only for residents of Lincoln, Massachusetts. Be sure to correctly identify your town of residence as Lincoln when you are signing.
Thank you for your attention to this important issue!
Sponsor: Alex Chatfield, 270 Concord Road, Lincoln, MA (email@example.com)
• A copy of the proposed by-law (as well as educational resources) can be found at www.lincolnleaves.org
• Questions or comments can be emailed to the Leaf Blower Study Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today: Alex is counting on you
Alex Chatfield needs your help with “Civic Leaders of the Town of Lincoln: Support a leaf blower by-law for Lincoln, MA”. Join Alex and 211 supporters today.