No Tower @ Alma & Broadway
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 3701-3743 West Broadway at Alma St. from RS-1 (single family dwelling) and C-2 (Commercial District) to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) to allow for the development of a 14-storey mixed-use tower of 172.6 ft., 161 units, 27 residential parking, 5.3 FSR.
A recent revised application as shown in the photo above, has not addressed the main concerns as detailed below. The revised application is on the right.
This proposal would set a huge precedent for both West Point Grey and Kitsilano. While situated in West Point Grey, this precedent-setting development would affect future development in both neighbourhoods since it is located on the boundary. It also sets a precedent for the forthcoming development in the Jericho Lands, which lie only one block away.
This development as proposed:
- is disrespectful of surrounding neighbourhood context and character, both commercial and residential;
- is in conflict with the West Pt. Grey Community Vision, which was approved by City Council in 2010;
- would undermine broader affordability and displace local residents by increasing inflationary pressure on local land values, including nearby rental properties;
- increases environmental ecological footprint;
- proposed building height extends way above the tree canopy;
- design and scale of proposed structure would restrict sunlight to adjacent residential and public spaces; and
- impacts on existing views from across the neighbourhoods.
You can read more through the City’s website here.
This petition requests that the City of Vancouver does not approve a tower for this site and instead keeps development within human scale, below the tree canopy and within the character of the existing local community. This commercial mixed-use site should remain within existing zoning of 4 storeys ,or at the most, not go higher than the 6 storeys as an incentive for 100% rentals that the developer originally proposed.
Today: West Point Grey is counting on you
West Point Grey Residents Association needs your help with “City of Vancouver Officials: No Tower @ Alma & Broadway”. Join West Point Grey and 3,847 supporters today.