- Antonio VillaraigosaMayor
- City of Los AngelesOffice of the Mayor
stop corrupt and fraudulent parking enforcement practices
Parking enforcement is being completely abused, and wasting citizen's money. It is no longer about keeping order, and more about racketeering and a corrupt method to exploit the sheer number of vehicles and limited amount of space in the city. When you receive a parking ticket in your own driveway, on a street with no parking signs, it's time for citizens to fight back. See http://slapec.org/ for more detail.
- Office of the Mayor
City of Los Angeles
Please reform the laws on parking enforcement. It is blatant racketeering rather than protecting citizens safety and the streets of our city. The laws and ordinances surrounding parking enforcement are extreme, and have become a way for the city to squeeze water out of a rock. Citizens should never have to worry about receiving a parking fine in their own driveway; this exploits our freedoms, and makes us feel unsafe, rather than safe. That our city is merely looking for a way to exploit us, rather than protect us. It feels as if an organized crime racket is running parking enforcement, rather than moral public servants with integrity
Our demands are:
- Remove parking enforcement rules regarding special zones and permits during daylight hours
- Parking enforcement agencies shall never go down a residential street unless called by another citizen, or if there are enforceable signs on that street
- Reduce the cost of fines to no more than $40, with the exception of fire lane and handicap violations
- Reform the dispute process by giving more visibility into how decisions are made when a ticket is disputed
More available means to contest. End the internal review that always finds their officer in the right and the driver always in the wrong.
More evidence required from Parking Extortion. No more of “the ticket is evidence enough, our people are flawless.” Everyone carries a mobile phone that takes pictures. They never could have produced a photo of my car illegally parked on Broadway because it was 40 miles away.
Ending the practice of issuing citations as a revenue generator. It’s ‘law enforcement” not taxation without representation.
Allow easier charging of officers with misconduct. Send a few crooks to prison.
- Audit all mailed tickets. If the car isn’t there, don’t ticket it.
- No more use of mailed tickets to punish people. No more following pedestrians, who challenge Parking Enforcement officers who are acting improperly, to their cars to learn their license number to issue revenge tickets. No more mailed tickets to people who argue with them. It’s parking enforcement, but revenge.
- End inappropriate practices such as agreeing to tear up a ticket and then writing another after the driver leaves, and mailing the delinquent notice.
- Stop messing up paperwork and expecting us to pay fees because they lost the payment. more recourse when they mess up the paperwork. If they cashed the check before the due date, it wasn’t late.
- Be accurate about dates, times, and locations. No more citations for expired tags on cars with current tags. No more tickets at 11:45 when the sign says, “no parking between 12 and 2”. If it says ‘tow-away 4-6” don’t hookup the tow truck at 3:55. No more putting up “no parking” signs at 2 am and start towing at 4 am. The list is endless.
- Punitive damages, return of money, punishment of the conspirators.
Matthew Sacks started this petition with a single signature, and now has 385 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Matthew is counting on you
Matthew Sacks needs your help with “City of Los Angeles: stop corrupt and fraudulent parking enforcement practices”. Join Matthew and 384 supporters today.