Approve a playground/greenspace in the Hazelwood/Merlin Neighbourhood
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
This petition is based on geospatial analyses that can be found here: http://arcg.is/2sqmJKW
The Hazelwood and Merlin development in Happy Valley, Langford is underserved by the parks and greenspace. Other subdivisions and developments have intentional greenspace and playgrounds, whereas our neighbourhood, developed and built in the same timeframe, is lacking.
According to the Integrated Parks and Open Space System, Objective 4.3
"Ensure natural areas, parks and open space are connected in a network consistent with the Colwood & Langford Natural Setting, Parks & Open Space Integration Strategy"
Our neighbourhood does not satisfy the following standards:
- Standard of park area (ha) per 1000 people
- Proximity and walkability criteria (e.g. parks with 400m walk from all homes)
In addition, we have noted that:
- Accessing a playground from our neighbourhood requires a more than 15 minute walk - something that is challenging for most of the little children.
- There are no playgrounds or parks within a distance that DOES NOT require walking across a major thoroughfare.
- It has been quite challenging to have safe use and enjoyment of the neighbourhood due to traffic speed and parking requirements. So much so that anecdotally, there have been incidents involving vehicles and children.
- The Gallooping Goose, although a curated greenbelt, has not been entirely safe due to some crime and is not well suited for playground-style play
We are petitioning the City of Langford to approve, fund and build a space that would enable our families and children within the neighbourhood and surrounding areas to have the use and enjoyment of a safe and walkable (within 400m, and within 5-10 minute walk at 3km/h) recreational park or greenspace that would include playground structures like the ones found at Glen Lake Park, WestHills, Carlow, etc.
Today: Nathan is counting on you
Nathan Enge needs your help with “City of Langford: Approve a playground/greenspace in the Hazelwood/Merlin Neighbourhood”. Join Nathan and 38 supporters today.