Mayor Ginther, sign the Mayors National Climate Action Agenda's Paris Accord pledge
This petition had 383 supporters
Climate change is real.
On Friday, June 2, the President of the United States decided to remove the United States of America from the Paris Climate Accord. With this move, the United States has informally neglected its duties to not only our own nation but to the world. This in unacceptable.
Here is the evidence:
- Sea levels have risen 8 inches in the last century, with the rate in the last two decades nearly doubling that of the last century.
- Global temperatures have risen about 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th Century. Most warming, predominantly caused by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions in the atmosphere, occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 out of 17 of the hottest years on record occurring since 2001.
- Oceans have absorbed much of the increased hit with the top 700 meters of the ocean showing the warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shrinking ice sheets are a major problem. The Greenland and Antartic ice sheets have dramatically decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.
- The thickness and extent of the Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.
- Glaciers are retreating, to this very day, almost everywhere around the world - including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.
- Extreme weather events are on the rise. The number of recordhigh temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.
- Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent. This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.
- Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier.
The evidence is undeniable. A vast majority of scientists back up and believe in climate change. Some of society's most intelligent people believe in climate change. We can not ignore this.
Climate change doesn't only have implications for the people who currently live, but for generations to come. Society hinges on what we do during our generation. Small steps are still steps.
As a resident of the great City of Columbus, I, and all who sign this petition, ask the Mayor of Columbus, Andrew Ginther, to sign the Mayors National Climate Action Agenda and move to unilaterally protect our city, our state, our nation, and our only home in the known universe- Planet Earth.
--- For sources for evidence, visit here . ---
Today: Caleb is counting on you
Caleb R needs your help with “City of Columbus: Mayor Ginther, sign the Mayors National Climate Action Agenda's Paris Accord pledge”. Join Caleb and 382 supporters today.