Record-setting heat waves, droughts, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, vanishing glaciers, thawing permafrost, disintegrating ice sheets, rising sea levels, dying coral reefs, extinction of species – the disasters we are now witnessing are but a preview of more devastating impacts to come. The governments of all nations on Earth acknowledge the consensus view of the world’s scientific community: we are facing a climate crisis that requires, “…rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society.”
We simply cannot delay. We must immediately respond to the challenge of restoring a safe climate system with an understanding that we all rise or fall together! But let’s not just look at this as a battle to be waged! Let’s imagine the kind of world we want to create! Let’s start planning a Just Transition to a vibrant, resilient, people-centered, climate-adapted world -- with clean air, jobs, and justice for all!
An Equitable Climate Emergency Resolution is an action passed by a City Council or Board of Supervisors that commits the city/County to:
- Acknowledge the existence of a climate emergency.
- Elevate climate issues to the highest priority in all city/County goal-setting.
- Evaluate all policies, projects, purchases, and priorities through the lens of climate impact.
- Set a goal of zero net emissions within ten years and annually track and publicly report progress toward that goal.
- Update its General Plan and other guiding documents in accordance with the goals of mitigation, drawdown, adaptation, and social justice.
- Create a new entity in their jurisdiction to oversee ongoing climate-related efforts.
- Educate and engage all city/County employees and all community members on the urgency of the climate crisis and the need for “…rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society.”
- Encourage the active participation of the entire community, including our marginalized and disenfranchised members who will be the most heavily impacted by climate change, in a Just Transition toward a resilient future.
We ask all the cities in Sonoma County -- and the County of Sonoma -- to join the City of Petaluma and over 960 jurisdictions worldwide [as of 8-21-19] and over 7,000 colleges and universities in passing an Equitable Climate Emergency Resolution and signaling their sincere commitment to an equitable, livable future for all.
This petition will be presented to city councils around Sonoma County and to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors in support of all Equitable Climate Emergency Resolutions.
Please note that any money that you "chip in" after you click on the petition flows to change.org and only benefits Sonoma Climate Mobilization indirectly!