WACO CITY COUNCIL: PLEDGE 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY BY 2050
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
As citizens of the Waco, Texas area, we call on the Waco City Council to pledge that the City will be powered by 100% clean renewable energy by 2050, joining over 40 US cities that have made this pledge, or have reached this goal. In June, the US Conference of Mayors passed a resolution unanimously endorsing such pledges for its entire membership. The multiple compelling reasons to take this pledge include:
- Renewable energy offers long term cost savings and stability, as wind and solar now flourish and prices have plummeted. With excess production, electricity from wind has even been offered free at night by some Texas utilities.
- Since cities produce 70% of global greenhouse gas emissions, eliminating these emissions by converting to renewable energy is a potent step in combatting anthropogenic climate change, and thus mitigating such impacts as heat waves, drought, floods, extreme weather, sea level rise, and ocean acidification.
- Renewable energy usage will create approximately 1 million new US jobs by 2030, and will likewise benefit the Waco economy.
- The technological advances and decreased pollution will help attract high tech businesses, tourists, and relocating workers to Central Texas.
Each city will have a unique pathway to reach 100% green energy. Possible steps for Waco include:
- Solar and wind contracts for City energy needs.
- Facilitation of green energy availability for residential requirements, considering a rebate program for home rooftop solar (per San Antonio).
- Replacement of City gasoline vehicles with electric cars, taxis, and buses.
- Electric car or charger rebates for citizens, in addition to federal/state rebates.
- Facilitation of electric vehicle charging stations, for local citizens and as a magnet for travelers.
- More stringent building efficiency regulations, including mandatory rooftop solar for some commercial construction.
- Support of local food markets, decreased food waste, composting, and tree planting campaigns.
PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION AND SHARE.
We call on the Waco City Council to pledge to go 100% renewable by 2050 at the latest. The City will recognize economic benefits, with lower energy costs and job creation. And with climate action at the federal level stalled, the responsibility for strong action for a zero carbon future and a livable biosphere for our children falls to the cities. WE TRUST WACO WILL TAKE THIS URGENTLY NEEDED ACTION.
Today: Waco Friends of Peace/Climate is counting on you
Waco Friends of Peace/Climate needs your help with “City Council Waco: WACO CITY COUNCIL: PLEDGE 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY BY 2050”. Join Waco Friends of Peace/Climate and 630 supporters today.