Change name of Congress Street to Constitution Way
This petition had 96 supporters
Because the United States Congress has continued to show its complete disdain for the rights and needs of the American people by, among other offenses,
• ramming through the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, aka #TaxScam2017, without thoughtful, transparent, and bipartisan deliberation, and, in so doing,
—putting a cap on the aspirations of the poor,
—crippling the ability of any but the wealthiest to pursue education beyond the high school,
—ripping health care away from tens of millions of Americans, and
—increasing the national debt by more than $1 TRILLION over ten years;
• refusing to take seriously the possibility that American democracy was subverted by Russian intervention in the 2016 presidential election;
• rushing to repeal the Affordable Care Act and endanger the health and welfare of the American people without thoughtful, transparent, and bipartisan deliberation;
• denying a sitting president the responsibility of nominating a Supreme Court justice;
• wasting legislative time and money in more than thirty partisan hearings over the Benghazi attack of 2012;
• wasting legislative time and money with more than fifty grandstanding votes to overturn the Affordable Care Act;
• allowing a government shutdown due to the ill-conceived "sequester" of 2013;
• funding the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with "supplemental appropriations" that kept the $1 trillion spent on those conflicts hidden from the American people;
• rushing to pass the Patriot Act of 2001 without thoughtful, transparent, and inclusive deliberation,
Therefore, mindful of the need to restore our collective dignity in the face of such neglect and oppression, to find common purpose in our history, and to dissociate ourselves from even tacit approval of an institution that has proven its disdain for the American people, that is, the United States Congress,
We, the undersigned, call for the City of Portland to abolish the name Congress Street and replace it with Constitution Way.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Today: Lincoln is counting on you
Lincoln Paine needs your help with “City Council of Portland: Change name of Congress Street to Constitution Way”. Join Lincoln and 95 supporters today.