Relocate the Confederate Monument in Lakeland's Munn Park
This petition made change with 476 supporters!
We, the Undersigned would like our voices heard as proponents of the removal or relocation of Lakeland's Confederate statue in Munn Park.
Whereas We, the Undersigned, wish to honor and respect every fallen soldier who died in honorable service to our country;
- Whereas We believe Munn Park is not an appropriate location for a military memorial, lacking the solemn atmosphere for genuine reverence, respect, or reflection;
- Whereas no specific battle or military incidents occurred in Munn Park or downtown Lakeland;
Furthermore, We the Undersigned wish to promote downtown Lakeland as a vibrant community center;
- Whereas We believe a re-envisioning of the monument area in Munn Park will elevate and aid the promotion of downtown Lakeland as a commercial, retail, and recreational destination;
Furthermore, We the Undersigned wish to protect all citizens and visitors to downtown Lakeland;
- Whereas Confederate monuments across the United States have become public safety liabilities, putting families, residents, and visitors in the path of conflict;
Therefore We, the Undersigned, propose that the Confederate monument in Munn Park be removed or relocated to an appropriate location to be determined;
- Where it will not be inappropriately used as a jungle gym or picnic table;
- Where there is appropriate space and atmosphere for quiet reflection;
- Where it will provide the greatest opportunity for downtown Lakeland to thrive.
Today: Fred is counting on you
Fred Koehler needs your help with “City Commission of Lakeland: Relocate the Confederate Monument in Lakeland's Munn Park”. Join Fred and 475 supporters today.