Digital Billboards Present These Concerns:
1. Billboards, particularly Digital Billboards are a digital blight on a beautiful natural landscape.
2. Asheville is special for many reasons. Good architecture that has been preserved is one reason and that is being destroyed on Merrimon.
3. Billboards and Digital Billboards cause a decrease in property values particularly important in residential neighborhoods.
4. Traffic Safety issues – studies report with a 2 sec. diversion from driving tasks increases the incidence of crashes.
5. Brightness, luminance and illuminance: The bright lights (LED) are 7500 nits and the sun is 6500 nits. In all respects the bright light of a DBB is a nuisance, and increases the bright lights of an urban area…and its view shed.
6. Buncombe County has passed an Ordinance against light pollution that forces all exterior lighting to be amortized / depreciated / replaced.
7. DBBs are energy guzzlers consuming huge amounts of energy (1 DBB consumes as much energy as 30 average homes one study cited) which contribute to greenhouse gases and global warming.
8. Billboard Companies are clearcutting trees to make their road signs more visible.
9. Digital Billboards (DBBs) have been a vehicle for “computer hacking” in other countries and are ripe for hacking in our country with the result of unacceptable messages as the display.
10. There is a window of opportunity open for Digital Billboards (DBB’s) to become mobile displays used in this community as in signs on the side of buses or trucks?
11. “Local” service information is available on Blackberries and Smart Phones.
12. “Logo” signs on highways and at highway exits, point direction and distance to local services as well and make billboards unnecessary.
Jane Northway started this petition with a single signature, and now has 117 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.