Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Prithviraj Chavan: Prosecute Ashok Chavan, Sushil Kumar Shinde and others for Adarsh Scam
This petition had 893 supporters
If CBI has the evidence against Ashok Chavan and other accused, they must be prosecuted. The governor is misusing his position to obstruct the natural process of law
Lok Satta Party is dismayed at the blatant attempt by Maharashtra Governor by not allowing CBI to prosecute then CM Ashok Chavan for the Adarsh scam. This blatant act is despite CBI having more than 160 pages of evidence against him.
The Maharashtra government has rejected the report of the judicial commission of inquiry on the Adarsh scam it tabled in the Legislative Assembly today which indicted several politicians including three former Chief Ministers for "blatant violations" of statutory provisions.
1. The panel found 25 of the society's 102 members ineligible and 22 cases of 'benami' purchase of flats.
2. The report said Adarsh society enjoyed political patronage of former Chief Ministers, Vilasrao Deshmukh, Sushil Kumar Shinde and Ashok Chavan, former Revenue Minister Shivajirao Nilangekar Patil, former Ministers for Urban Development Sunil Tatkare and Rajesh Tope.
3. Those found ineligible for ownership of flats included former Maharashtra Assembly speaker Babasaheb Kupekar of NCP, former Shiv Sena MP Suresh Prabhu and Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was arrested in the US for alleged visa fraud.
4. The CBI had charged Mr Chavan and 12 others for criminal conspiracy, cheating and criminal misconduct under Indian Penal Code and also under Prevention of Corruption Act.
5. Mr Chavan's mother-in-law Bhagvati Sharma, sister-in-law Seema Sharma and father-in-law's brother Madanlal Sharma have flats in the society. All of them have been held ineligible by the judicial panel to own flats in the society.
6. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said the decision on rejection of the findings of the inquiry commission was taken by the Cabinet "in the interest of the people".
*This petition has been created in public interest by Lok Satta Party Maharashtra.
Connect with us:
Today: Loksatta is counting on you
Loksatta Maharashtra needs your help with “Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Prithviraj Chavan: Prosecute Ashok Chavan, Sushil Kumar Shinde and others for Adarsh Scam”. Join Loksatta and 892 supporters today.