OBJECTION TO PROPOSED APPLICATION FOR CHILD CARE CENTRE 81 MATTOCKS ROAD BURLEIGH WATERS
This petition had 168 supporters
Dear Burleigh Waters Residents,
OBJECTION TO PROPOSED APPLICATION FOR CHILD CARE CENTRE 81 MATTOCKS ROAD Burleigh Waters
APPLICATION NO. MCU 201700061
You will most likely be aware of the above Development Application Notice that has recently gone up on a property, formerly known as No 1 Rangeview Court, Burleigh Waters, now 81 Mattocks Road, Burleigh Waters.
Notice states that proposal is for 25 placements, however actual application documentation refers to 29 placements throughout.
As long-time residents of Rangeview Court (23 years) we have seen many changes to the area in that time i.e., continuation of Christine Avenue from Bermuda Street all the way to Robina Town Centre, the continuation of Mattocks Road from the northern entry into Treeview Drive to Christine avenue, the opening of the Robina Town Centre (formerly Laver’s dairy property), the development and opening of Bond University, the development of the Varsity Lakes business and housing precincts, the development and opening of Christine Corner, the Bermuda Street business precinct opposite Bond and the opening of Robina & Varsity Lakes train stations. Needless to say, the area now is vastly different and a long way busier than when we first moved to the area.
Accordingly, we have perused this application and like most people we have spoken to, feel that the above proposal is NOT suited to our local area and our reasons are as follows:
- Mattocks Rd is used as a ‘rat run’ street for people to access either Bermuda Street going north or the Pacific Motorway via Reedy Creek Road, during peak hour times. This saves them going through a number of lights at Treetops Shopping Centre.
For this reason, traffic on Mattocks Rd, particularly in peak hour is heavy, making a turn into a street or house off this road quite dangerous at times.
- As local residents, you will also no doubt be aware of the ‘traffic jam’ that occurs on Christine Avenue during morning and evening peak hour. Trying to turn right onto Christine Av from Mattocks Rd can take quite a few attempts most days. Likewise, traffic on Reedy Creek Rd during peak hour can be backed up from Burleigh Gardens Industrial Estate to past Marymount College. Add another 29 cars coming and going twice a day, more traffic.
Entry onto Mattocks Rd from side streets during this time also becomes an issue. From our Court, visibility is an issue, particularly if cars are parked north and southside of Rangeview Court. Visibility up the hill from southern entry into Treeview is also compromised and traffic trying to enter from northern entry to Treeview Dr, must be vigilant of traffic coming around the corner from the right and from the left over the crest of a hill and quite often past parked cars in front of the houses on the south side of Mattocks Road.
- Entry into the Centre is proposed to be from Mattocks Road on the southern boundary of the property, across a footpath into parking bays. If there is a bank up of cars trying to get into these bays during peak hour, again creates a dangerous situation for both people dropping off and picking up, plus footpath users, particularly if someone is trying to get across the road between oncoming cars and people walking past.
They propose that people park at a ‘active parkland’ (Frascot Park which according to the application is 128m away. It is actually 300m from mailbox at 81 to parking bays in Frascot Park.) and walk up to the Centre. What parent in a hurry on their way to work of a morning or coming home of an afternoon is going to park and walk to the Centre???
- Required car spaces for the Centre is 10. They can provide 7, with 4 staff parks in Rangeview Court, 3 and a turning bay in Mattocks Road, with excess parking in Mattocks Road in front of the centre. Again, dangerous, particularly if you have cars parked to the right and left of entry.
- Staffing levels are reported as 4 staff, working 6.30am to 6.30pm!! From what we can glean from other centres, this is incorrect. Apart from the 4 staff required for the number of children, there Is the centre manager and a chef/cook making the required staff parking 6.
- The Street number was changed from 1 Rangeview court to 81 Mattocks Rd purely for the purpose of being able to submit this application. As long as we have lived here, garage and entry to property was always off Mattocks Road, obviously for safety reasons. Placing a centre of this nature on a busy ‘rat run’ street certainly isn’t a safe option.
- Centre, according to proposal is to service the local area for people working in Burleigh, Burleigh Waters, Varsity Lakes and Robina areas. A quick Google search of these areas showed up some 19 Centres servicing these areas, not including those in the Miami area. Most on major roads within reach of a school and with a 40kmph ‘Speed Zone’. Mattocks Road is a 50kmph zone, not a major road and no school speed zone.
- Anyone living in our area has chosen to live here for varying reasons, be it safety, central to whole of the Coast, easy access to Motorway north and south (though that’s another story), living in a quiet and safe cul de sac street etc. We now potentially have (a) a safety issues (b) access issues (c) additional traffic issues to deal with.
- This objection isn’t being made on a whim. We have read the submitted application and supporting documents (which can be viewed on the GCCC PD site and which are available under the Freedom of Information criteria on Council website), and have based out objections accordingly, addressing what we believe to be of concern.
Website link to Council Planning & Development GCCC P&D
If you would like to join in the Objection process or express your concerns also, this can be done as follows: -
Sign this Online Petition by clicking on link which is available and we will deliver them personally to Council.
Email Council Objection Form Direct (Click here for Form)
Please print and email to email@example.com
If you dont have a printer or want us to email to council
Please get a copy or drop off at 16 Rangeview Court Burleigh Waters
For those who do not have easy computer access,
we have an “Objection to Proposed Application for Child Care Centre’ for you to sign if you would like to join the objection Process. please feel free to drop in to us at No 16 Rangeview Court and we will deliver them personally to Council, We have also allowed extra space for you to add any additional reasons as to why you think this proposal is in an unsuitable location.
We have also been advised that it would be beneficial to our cause to contact our local Division 11 Councillor Mr Herman Vorster, so we urge you to contact him and register your Objection.
Phone:5581 7282 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact us either on email: email@example.com Kind Regards Ross & Kay
Online Facebook Group for Discussion, Feedback and updates Click Here (This is a Closed Group)
Today: Kay is counting on you
Kay Chaffey needs your help with “Chief Executive Officer City of Gold Coast: OBJECTION TO PROPOSED APPLICATION FOR CHILD CARE CENTRE 81 MATTOCKS ROAD, BURLEIGH WATERS”. Join Kay and 167 supporters today.