Save The Boys & Girls Club of Desert Hot Springs!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
The Boys and Girls Club has been a long standing safe haven for the children in our community for decades. Literally hundreds of families have been positively influenced by the guidance and structure available through the BGC. Furthermore, with violent crime on the rise in our community one of the safest places for our youth to be is at the BGC.
Now, to make things clear, this close is supposedly only going to be a change of management, so they say. The major concern with that is Borrego Springs has no experience in facilitating a youth program on the scale of our BGC. Is it possible that they could be successful? Maybe. However, the lives and futures of our children shouldn't be handled by folks who are willing to haphazardly hand them over to an inexperienced Monopoly of medical personnel.
Our youth are in very vulnerable positions with the pressures of our community. It is imperative that we don't allow this change to take place without a move for transparency and certain stipulations.
The capacity of the BGC reaches far beyond simple after school activities. There is a sense of unity and healthy competitiveness. There's companionship and stability that for some, only happens at the BGC.
Additionally, some parents and family members who may otherwise worry endlessly about their loved ones can feel assured they're safe and cared for.
Prevention is far more important than cure, so if it's not broken we shouldn't be trying to fix it.
It is for these reasons, and many more that we are asking the following:
1. Rescind the contract with Borrego Springs temporarily, on the condition that Borrego submit written plans through consultation with current BGC staff to the club families, staff and city officials and leave them open for discussion at a date TBD.
2. A mandatory clause will be written in that Borrego will adapt the fiscal policies regarding membership, to include reduced and free memberships for low income and otherwise qualified families.
3. The club, which ultimately belongs to our youth will open its doors to host an open discussion after the review of Borrego's written proposal.
4. Borrego will commit to host a youth council to ensure an effective transfer through utilizing current youth staff.
5. All staff currently employed at the BGC will be given opportunities to continue their positions at current pay rate with current benefits, including students and volunteers.
Today: Survivors Consultation Network is counting on you
Survivors Consultation Network needs your help with “Charles Maynard: Save The Boys & Girls Club of Desert Hot Springs!”. Join Survivors Consultation Network and 687 supporters today.