Petition AKESK to scrap the unjustifiable annual increment in tuition fees at AKAN
This petition had 484 supporters
We, concerned parents at Aga Khan Academy Nairobi, would like to petition the CEO and Board of Directors at AKESK to scrap the 10% increase in tuition fees that has been announced for the academic year 2018/19 because it is the third increase in as many years and we believe that it is unjustified and unacceptable given the following critical factors, among others:
• Academic mediocrity that is characterised by undermotivated teachers, weak academic structures and the absence of academic excellence standards.
• Poor academic performance as evidenced by the 2018 ACER International Schools Assessment results. For instance, in Grades 3 and 5 the average results for mathematical literacy and reading at AKAN were substantially lower than those of "all other schools around the world" and "for other like schools".
• Sub-standard facilities that do not reflect the fees charged by the school. For instance:
- the Junior school has not had a dedicated outdoor play area with appropriate equipment such as swings, slides and jungle gym for the past 2 years. Six grades comprised of over 300 students have had to share confined recreational spaces, which has at times resulted in injuries to the children during play time.
- The music room is in a dark room under a set of stairs and this is unacceptable for a school of this calibre
- The ICT room is poorly equipped, which compromises the students' capacity to learn.
- The Junior School student waiting area does not have any seating and children sit on the concrete floor, even in cold weather, at drop off and pick up times.
- Poorly serviced pool that should at the very least be solar heated.
• The increment is higher than both the annual average inflation rate (currently quoted by CBK as being at 5%) and salary incremental rate (5% increase in minimum wage as announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta in May 2018), therefore given the unsatisfactory conditions mentioned above parents are receiving neither equal value for money nor returns on the investment they are making by having their children at the school.
We also request that the AKESK CEO and BOARD take the following matters into consideration:
• Tuition fees remain fixed for a period of at least 2 years, and that as key stakeholders parents are invited to take part in the decision making process when the fees structure is being revised.
• Any revision in the tuition fees structure should be announced at least a term before the end of the current period academic year. Presently, parents who wish to withdraw their child(ren) from the school are required to give a term's notice and it is therefore reasonable to expect that the same courtesy is extended to parents.
Today: Parents at AKAN, JS is counting on you
Parents at AKAN, JS needs your help with “CEO of AKESK : Petition AKESK to scrap the unjustifiable annual increment in school fees at AKAN”. Join Parents at AKAN, JS and 483 supporters today.