The pay packet of Graham Beale, CEO of Nationwide, for 2011 after bonuses is currently a substantial £1.88m.
I am upset to learn that Nationwide have decided to increase his basic pay by 25% for next year.
I chose to open my account with Nationwide because they are different. Nationwide is a building society and not a bank.
Nationwide has no shareholders and is supposed to put their members first, it's terrible to see them behaving as a bank - increasing top pay for executives while they know that members and staff are struggling with increasing food and energy prices.
As an ethical business that says it puts members first, Nationwide should implement all of these measures.
The 12 measures are:
1. Pay basic salaries to company executive
2. Publish the top ten executive pay packages outside the boardroom
3. Standardise remuneration report
4. Require fund managers and investors to disclose how they vote on remuneration
5. Include employee representation on remuneration committees
6. All publicly listed companies should publish a distribution statement
7. Shareholders should cast forward-looking advisory votes on remuneration reports
8. Improve investment in the talent pipeline
9. Advertise non-executive positions publicly
10. Reduce conflicts of interest of remuneration consultants
11. All publicly listed companies should produce fair pay report
12. Establish a permanent body to monitor high pay
Nationwide should commit to implementing all these measures and show their commitment to fair executive pay.
I just signed the following petition addressed to: Nationwide.
According to the Daily Telegraph, the pay packet of Graham Beale CEO is currently £1.88m and this year, his basic pay has been increased by 25%.
This is disgusting considering that most Nationwide members are struggling to make ends meet.
I have a Nationwide account because it's a building society and are supposed to put their members first. It's terrible to see them behaving as a bank - increasing top pay for executives while they know that members and staff are struggling with increasing food and energy prices, but having their pay frozen.
The High Pay Commission recently published research showing that extreme awards are corrosive to the economy.
The Commission has 12 recommendations for curbing executive pay. As an ethical business that says it puts members first, Nationwide should implement all of these measures.
Nationwide customers for fair executive pay started this petition with a single signature, and now has 8 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.