CBRM City Council must take action on climate change
This petition made change with 115 supporters!
On Friday, May 24, citizens of Cape Breton Regional Municipality will assemble and march to demand swift, decisive, and continued action from their elected municipal officials on the climate crisis. If you can't attend the march in person but would like to support the cause, please sign this petition to show your support.
We the undersigned demand swift and continued action from our elected representatives in order to mitigate and adapt against the many harmful effects of climate change.
The climate crisis is real. CBRM's recent declaration of a state of climate emergency confirms your willingness to confront the growing effects of global warming. Based upon our research into the science of climate change, as well as studies of what other cities, regions, and countries have done to reduce their own culpability and liability, we respectfully demand that you commit to taking the following actions, in a timeline to be determined through direct consultation with the undersigned:
- Publish a progress report on CBRM’s climate action, referring to the 2014 CBRM Climate Action Plan as an indication of what steps have already been taken towards environmental mitigation and adaptation.
- Strike an advocacy panel of public advisors who will meet to review CBRM’s progress reports and recommend subsequent courses of action.
- Commit to publishing monthly public reports that list any/all ongoing or completed climate actions taken by CBRM:
- To reduce the city’s fossil fuel emissions;
- To mitigate the costly and hazardous effects of global warming for citizens;
- To educate and prepare citizens for the effects of climate collapse.
Today: Scott is counting on you
Scott Sharplin needs your help with “CBRM Mayor and City Council: CBRM City Council must take action on climate change”. Join Scott and 114 supporters today.