- Muriel BowserMayor
- Phil MendelsonCouncil Chair
- Kenyan McDuffyChair, Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
Cathy Lanier Must Go Now - No Accountability
This petition was started in June 2013, in response to the DC police killing of unarmed Clemant Sweptson and the subsequent cover-up of that by the MPD, which then cleared the officer(s) within 60-days. The identities of the killer cops have never been made known. Since then, we have had police involved in child porn and trafficking for prostitution, with the unexplained disappearance of 8-year old Relisha Rudd, a suspiciously botched police "investigation." We have murders not being investigated in order to protect the guilty, blacks making up over 85% of all arrests, many on minor or fabricated charges, and we have the MPD allowing transit cops to impersonate police in the black community. Read more at www.itj-pdn.org ;
- Council Chair
- Chair, Committee on Judiciary and Public Safety
The PEOPLES’ DEFENSE NETWORK for JUSTICE
March 1st, 2016
Muriel Bowser, Mayor
1350 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, D.C. 20004
We the undersigned residents of the District of Columbia call for the immediate termination of Cathy Lanier as chief of police of the Metropolitan Police Department and be held to account for:
1. The suspect mishandling of the Relisha Rudd case, including the murders of Andrea and Khalil Tatum;
2. The police killing of Cleman Sweptsonwho was unarmed and merely riding his bike when shot drive-by style by DC police, who were quietly cleared two-months later without their identities or the circumstances behind the shooting ever being made public;
3. Cathy Lanier maintains an unofficial policy that the MPD is to allow transit officers to impersonate MPD in black communities, including giving them the power to seize, transport, and jail;
4. No apparent investigation into the extent of MPD officers being involved in the production of child pornography and prostitution.
And numerous other problems of lawless conduct and suspect behavior on the part of Cathy Lanier and the MPD.
We are concerned not only about your silence on these matters, but your support for Lanier by continuing her on as the police chief. Ms. Lanier needs to be removed and ordered to appear before the City Council in full public hearings to provide answers on these and other matters, your refusal to do so will result in this petition becoming one for your recall..
Sincerely, We the Undersigned Voters
the Institute for Tsunamic Justice started this petition with a single signature, and now has 229 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: the Institute for Tsunamic Justice is counting on you
the Institute for Tsunamic Justice needs your help with “Cathy Lanier Must Go, End the Cover-up Now!”. Join the Institute for Tsunamic Justice and 228 supporters today.