Support the Movement Against Sexual Violence in the Caribbean
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Recently, throughout the Caribbean there have been shocking reports on sexual violence and other forms of violence against women and girls. These include abductions, killings and statutory sexual assaults of girls and testimonies from women and girls about experiences of everyday sexual abuse on the street, in public transport and interactions at the workplace and at home. Reports reflect that many of these perpetrators are in positions of power. These include leaders of churches, educational, state and political organizations as well as individuals or family members entrusted with the care of children.
We therefore write in strong support of #LifeinLeggings, the Tambourine Army and activist groups organising across the region to stop sexual violence of all kinds and to stop violence against women and children.
We call on Caribbean governments to meet their demands and the demands of women and men across the Caribbean for the following:
- Allocation of state funds for a shelter for survivors of sexual and other forms of gender based violence in all our countries by the end of 2017
- Strengthened restorative justice and psychological support for survivors
- Targeted activism in schools (including colleges and universities), communities and the workplace through funding for public education initiatives about gender based violence and harassment
- Work with youth (counseling and mentoring)
- Strengthened community policing and special training for police on questions of sexual violence so that perpetrators may be held accountable and survivors supported
- The use of critical points such as health services for speedier interventions in situations of crisis.
Today: Caribbean People in the Diaspora in Solidarity with the Movement against Sexual Violence in the Region is counting on you
Caribbean People in the Diaspora in Solidarity with the Movement against Sexual Violence in the Region needs your help with “CARICOM Secretary General: Support the Movement Against Sexual Violence in the Caribbean”. Join Caribbean People in the Diaspora in Solidarity with the Movement against Sexual Violence in the Region and 70 supporters today.