Canadian Minister of Immigration & Refugees - Reconsider Closing Crucial Language Programs
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
- As of March 31st 2017, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will discontinue funding of the HRSB Adult EAL Program in Nova Scotia after over 25 years of successfully serving newcomers.
- Approximately 42 staff members and 350 students are left without jobs or a guaranteed language school in the middle of the academic year.
- Further, the Outreach program will also lose funding. This program provides language instruction and support to those who cannot attend class because they are unable to access childcare, as well as those who cannot get out because of health and mobility issues. This Outreach/LINC program exists within HRM, the South Shore, and in Sydney, Cape Breton.
- The immigrants and refugees being served through this program are vocal about their disapproval and acknowledge the huge benefits of a full-time language program being offered separate from other immigration services in the province.
- Many immigrants and refugees who come to Canada have traumatic backgrounds and the need for stability, support, and a solid community upon entering our country is the foundation of successful integration and resettlement.
- The sudden decision and lack of organization in the reallocation of funding will cause both emotional, personal, and academic challenges to the immigrants and refugees being served through the HRSB program.
Media Coverage: (1) CBC Nova Scotia (2) CBC News (Video) (3) Global News NS
We, the undersigned, call upon the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to reinstate the original model of funding in light of testimonials of staff and clients, as well as proof of success throughout the program's 25 year history. Furthermore, investigate the academic, social, and emotional benefits of a longstanding program such as HRSB Adult EAL for immigrants and refugees welcomed into our community.
*UPDATE* Statement from MP Darren Fisher (Dartmouth) Click Here
Today: Carla is counting on you
Carla C needs your help with “Canadian Minister of Immigration & Refugees: Reconsider Closing Crucial Language Programs”. Join Carla and 1,503 supporters today.