An injustice to one, is an injustice to all - Enslaving the largest minority group
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
This issue effects millions of people worldwide. Mental health is the leading cause of disability and, it is only increasing. I have worked with all aspects of this system - as a Service Provider, I worked with case workers, managers and clients. As a mother to a child with a disability, I have also walked through this outdated, suppressed system.
The government has appointed many committees to provide insight into this oppressive system and each has said; "the government is failing people with disabilities". One government representative went as far as saying; "this is not only a national crisis, it is a national shame". So why, knowing this, have no changes been made? Not only no changes - things are only getting worse.
Solutions to Start:
1. If you try to find the minister for People with Disabilities, you may not have much luck. Kirsty Duncan is also The Minister of Science and The Minister of Sport. It is not possible to have one minister effectively fill three roles - especially when one is to protect the largest minority group. This must change. A minister must be appointed to serve People with Disabilities and this person must have experience living and working in the insanity.
2. Disability supports have continued to decline and this minority group is living below the poverty line. When they do work, the government deducts a portion of their income - keeping them below the poverty line. In 2014, it would take almost $6783 to bring a single person to the poverty line - for a family with two children, it would take an extra $8147 to bring them up to the poverty line. The system must change to allow people with disabilities to at least reach the poverty line before any income is deducted. People must be given the opportunity to become self sufficient and come off the system.
3. Changes must start from the bottom up - we do not need to wait for government to create new laws in order to bring humanity back to human services. Not only are people with disabilities stressed, so are the people who serve them. Scientifically proven mindfulness seminars with an emphasis on stress must be delivered to government workers who work with people who have disabilities. Stress is the reason for 90% of doctors visits and is costing billions of dollars. There are solutions that can be implemented immediately. Stressed people helping stressed people is not sustainable.
4. Mindfulness training that has been scientifically proven to reduce stress (depression and anxiety), must be made available to every Canadian who is experiencing mental health issues and presented as an option when a prescription is written. Technology will also be funded (biofeedback device) for those who need it. Canada must insist on evolving - science proves, there are safer solutions.
5. An audit must be made to the 'directives' that are in place that prevent people with disabilities from working and efforts must be made to support self sufficiency. Rules will be modified or deleted that go against basic human rights.
Interviews with people in receipt of disability supports will be conducted to determine immediate actions that must be taken to support their growth and contribution.
"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government", Thomas Jefferson.
Today: The Mindfulness Project - Stephanie Escott is counting on you
The Mindfulness Project - Stephanie Escott needs your help with “Canadian Government : The enslavement of the largest minority group - wake up before its too late Canada...”. Join The Mindfulness Project - Stephanie Escott and 30 supporters today.