The Green Belt is under threat - sites around Cambridge and nearby villages are being planned for housing and commercial development. The Councils will be finalising their Local Plans by the end of the year. Only a small fraction of the Local Plan is based on Green Belt land. Its use can be avoided. Join the petition to protect the Greenbelt. See www.greenbeltsos.org.uk
We, the undersigned, call On Cambridge City and South Cambs Councils to withdraw all sites in the Green Belt proposed for development in the draft Local Plan
* We oppose further destruction of the Green Belt. There are no exceptional circumstances that justify it.
* We oppose urban sprawl that will destroy the historic, compact character of Cambridge, its surrounding villages and countryside and will further add to traffic congestion.
* The Councils' plans are based on out-of-date growth forecasts and first consideration should be given to greater re-use of existing sites (including brownfield) not in the Green Belt.
After signing the petition you can do more to protect the green belt by:
* Telling your friends and asking them to sign
* Making a formal submission to the council (if you are a resident)
* Writing to your MP and local councillor
Full details on our website at www.greenbeltsos.org.uk
The overwhelming majority of residents don't want them included and they only contribute a small fraction (3%) of the houses in the draft plan. There is no exceptional reason to use them.
The councils should further consider re-using existing sites before using Green Belt.
Developing the Green Belt will permanently damage the historic, compact shape of Cambridge and the surrounding villages.