Call on Hollywood to level the playing field in front and behind the cameras for all people of color and for women
This petition had 12 supporters
The purpose of the Hollywood Mixing Bowl Initiative (HMB) is to bring about diversity awareness and change in the racial makeup from top to bottom in the mainstream Hollywood decision-making structure. This applies to television networks as well film studios.
The goal of HMB is to improve race relations within the industry as well as on the national public level. Moreover, this initiative can be realized by having the Hollywood decision-making brass take aggressive and transparent steps to level the playing field in front and behind the cameras for all people of color and for women.
The objective of this initiative is fourfold:
1) To improve race relations by bringing about effective cultural change in the mindsets, attitudes, and perceptions of the consumer public at large;
2) To highlight and bring public awareness to the lack of diversity among Hollywood film and American television network executives;
3) To level the playing field through the racial diversification of decision makers, including studio and network chiefs, writers, producers, casting directors, and actors; and
4) Hitting the decision makers in their wallets with a nationwide, one-month movie boycott by all persons of color, women, and persons sensitive to diversity and race relations.
HMB desires Hollywood to move away from the limited depictions of Black life and other people of color in film and television and to professionally nurture more women, African Americans, and other people of color as actors, writers, producers, and executives.
HMB has identified five critical areas where change is needed to meet diversity and race relation objectives. These are as follows:
1. To enable accurate portrayal of storytelling from diverse perspectives within the minority population.
2. To address the under-representation of people of color in front of and behind the cameras.
3. To include more actors of color as positive role models on the screen.
4. To increase representation of women and people of color in executive production roles.
5. To encourage and cast more mature women in leading acting roles. (Please note: Mature women refers to actresses of 40+ years of age).
To summarize, accomplishing the goal of the HMB would allow the Hollywood decision-making structure to make a cultural shift in how it does business. Moreover, by addressing these five critical points, the HMB initiative hopes to bring about race and gender equality in the Hollywood executive production structure; to set a positive precedent; to serve as a role model in the promotion of authentic storytelling from the diverse, multiracial, and ethnic makeup in the United States; and to open up more doors of opportunity for actors of color and for mature women in lead prime time and/or feature film roles.
HMB is not an attack on Hollywood but rather serves as a catalyst for positive social change. Furthermore, the HMB initiative seeks to assist Hollywood in realizing its fullest potential to provide substantive entertainment for the 21st century by accurately reflecting the diverse population in the United States. Moreover, we feel that through the further opening of entertainment media channels to people of color in film and primetime lead roles, we can have both a subconscious and an overt impact on race relations in the United States, and subsequently the world. By mixing up the melting pot of talent, we can add more textures and layers to our already rich, diverse cultural landscape, and make entertainment which appeals to the sensibilities and heritages of all citizens.
Today: Izzy is counting on you
Izzy Knutz needs your help with “Call on Hollywood to level the playing field in front and behind the cameras for all people of color and for women”. Join Izzy and 11 supporters today.