Year Around Daylight-Savings Time in California
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Legislators can decide later whether to have the state stay on standard time or adopt daylight saving time year round. Year-round daylight saving time would require federal approval.
Assemblymember Kansen Chu has twice tried to get a bill through the California Assembly (AB 807) to adopt year-round Daylight-Saving time.
The constant change of time year after year has become a nuisance. Switching from Daylight Savings Time to Pacific Standard Time causes us to lose an hour of daylight in the evenings which effects evening travel, commerce, after-school activities and some say it even affects their health.
Give us an extra hour of light to shop, show properties, attend sporting events and so on.
Benefits of Year-Round DST (sourced from #LocktheClock which has links to studies)
- Heart attacks go up because of the clock change. (New England Journal of Medicine, Sleep Medicine Journal)
- There's NO increased risk to children in rural areas. (American Journal of Public Health)
- Traffic accidents spike on the Monday after "Spring Forward."(American Economic Association, New England Journal of Medicine)
- Workplace injuries go up. (Journal of Applied Psychology)
- Strokes go up. (Circulation Journal)
- Staying in DST will improve traffic safety in the winter months, and there is no increased risk to students waiting for school buses. (Journal of Safety Research)
- Permanent DST saves energy. (U.S. Department of Energy)
- Permanent DST helps in the fight against childhood obesity. (Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity and Journal of Physical Activity and Health)
- Workplace productivity goes down because of the clock changes.(Journal of Applied Psychology, story here)
- Permanent DST will help decrease air pollution. (Journal of the Air & Waste Management Assn. and Steve Spangler Science)
- Clock-changing harms relationships. (Wall St. Journal, citing several studies, subscription required)
- Clock-changing brings harsher sentences from judges.(Psychological Science)
- Getting rid of clock changing will make the stock market perform better. (Journal of Psychological Reports)
- Staying in DST all year can save wildlife. (The Royal Society Biology Letters)
- Switching out of DST hurts retail sales. (JP Morgan Chase Institute)
- Clock-changing increases IVF miscarriages. (Chronobiology International)
- Year-round Daylight Time means people walk and ride bikes more.(Journal of Environmental Psychology)
Make Daylight Savings Time a year-round time.
Today: Prateek is counting on you
Prateek Agarwal needs your help with “California State Senate: Year Around Daylight-Savings Time in California”. Join Prateek and 110 supporters today.