Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in California
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Each of you knows someone who has experienced sexual assault, abuse, or violence. You have an opportunity to enhance his or her healing. Please let your representatives know by calling, emailing or writing. Make your voice be one rooted in solutions and options for all those affected by this plague.
Dr. I. Dineen-Wimberly
I'm calling on California to pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights that will guarantee comprehensive, common sense civil rights for survivors:
Rise’s Five Key Civil Rights:
1. The right to not have your rape kit destroyed before either 20 years or the statute of limitations has passed (whichever is longer).
2. The right to be notified of your civil rights related to a sexual assault.
3. The right to not be charged for your own rape kit examination.
4. The right to access your own medical record related to a rape kit examination.
5. The right to a copy of your own police report.
Over forty states have backlogs for untested kits. Some states do not cover the full medical expenses of a kit, leaving survivors to pay their own way towards justice. Most states destroy rape kits before the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. The lack of these rights has inspired us to act.
This is a crisis for 25 million survivors across America, and it's time for our legislators to do something about it.
Today: Dr. Ingrid is counting on you
Dr. Ingrid Dineen-Wimberly needs your help with “California State Senate: Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in California”. Join Dr. Ingrid and 444 supporters today.