California Legislators Are Attempting To Take Away A Pregnant Mothers Right To Consent
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Urge your California Senate Legislators to Stop This Now!
There are three Bills in the State of California that if passed would mean that all pregnant & postpartum women in California will be required to undergo mandatory mental health screening.
These bills are AB 2193, which would establish mandatory mental health screening for pregnant or postpartum women. Any Obstetrician or Gynecologist not doing the screening would be breaking the law. AB 3032 Which would require hospitals to have a quality management program relating to maternal mental health disorders including, but not limited to, postpartum depression. AB 1893 Which would apply for Federal funding to finance the above.
Here are the reasons why these bills are extremely dangerous:
* Informed consent is a fundamental right for everyone, for any mental health treatment, a right which is firmly established in California law. These Bills fail to address this basic right.
* All mental health diagnosis (including screening) is subjective. No objective and repeatable tests (like blood, tests, X-rays, etc.) exist which can determine that a person has a mental disorder.
* A positive diagnosis for a mental health disorder often leads to treatment with psychotropic medication. Studies show that these medications will cross the placenta in pregnant women directly affecting the fetus. Most of these drugs are not approved by the FDA for administration to children under the age of 18, much less an unborn baby.
* The most common-form of mental health treatment are psychiatric drugs, which are extremely dangerous. They potentially cause many side effects including violent behavior, psychosis, hallucinations, strokes, cardiac irregularities and heart attacks, obesity, liver damage, irreversible central nervous system damage, diabetes and even suicide.
* Research shows that antidepressants can increase miscarriages and birth defects.
These bills are threatening to take away more personal rights and leave them in the hands of the state. These bills have already moved through the California Assembly with zero “NO” votes and are about to be heard in the California Senate Health Committee. If these bills are not stopped they will become law and there will not be anything that you can do about it. Let your California Senators know that you won’t be railroaded without your consent!
The contact information for the Senate Health Committee members is:
Senator Ed Hernandez, O.D. (Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4022
Fax: (916) 651-4922
State Capitol, Room 2080, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Janet Nguyen (Vice Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4034
Fax: (916) 651-4934
State Capitol, Room 3048, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Connie M. Leyva
Phone: (916) 651-4020
Fax: (916) 651-4920
State Capitol, Room 4061, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Holly J. Mitchell
Phone: (916) 651-4030
Fax: (916) 651-4930
State Capitol, Room 5080, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Bill Monning
Phone: (916) 651-4017
Fax: (916) 651-4917
State Capitol, Room 313, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Josh Newman
Phone: (916) 651-4029
State Capitol, Room 4082, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Jim Nielsen
Phone: (916) 651-4004
Fax: (916) 651-4904
State Capitol, Room 2068, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Richard Pan
Phone: (916) 651-4006
Fax: (916) 651-4906
State Capitol, Room 5114, Sacramento, CA 95814
Senator Richard D. Roth
Phone: (916) 651-4031
Fax: (916) 651-4931
State Capitol, Room 4034, Sacramento, CA 95814
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!