Approve legislation to ease creation of in-law units across California
This petition had 654 supporters
California Housing Crisis
The housing shortage in California has reached crisis levels. The California Department of Housing and Community Development estimates that we are currently building about 100,000 units less than we need annually to meet population growth, on top of the existing shortfall of about 2 million units estimated by McKinsey Global Institute.
This shortage has driven the average cost of a home in California to about two and half times the national average. The average monthly rent in California is 50 percent higher than the rest of the nation and even higher in cities such as San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, and Los Angeles.This is clearly not acceptable or sustainable. We must start implementing creative solutions to meet the pent-up housing demand of our state.
Tiny Homes, Big Potential
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are the most widely supported approach to get thousands of low cost units on the market fast to help alleviate California's massive housing shortage. ADUs, also known as in-law units or granny flats, are self-contained housing units on an existing residential property. ADUs often take the form of garage/bedroom conversions or backyard cottages.
- ADUs cost less to build and rent for less than new market rate housing, making ADUs affordable by design
- ADUs create new income for homeowners, helping stabilize neighborhoods
- ADUs align with state climate change goals, as they use less water, energy, and materials than traditional housing
Help Enable Accessory Dwelling Units- Support SB 831
In 2016 California passed SB 1069, authored by Senator Bob Wieckowski, which relieved some of the most onerous barriers to ADUs. But more needs to be done.
Senator Wieckowski has a new bill to further ease the creation of accessory dwelling units. This new bill, SB 831 would:
- Eliminate all local fees for an ADU
- Create a temporary amnesty program to evaluate existing unpermitted units
- Hold local agencies accountable through the Housing and Community Development Department
- Deem ADU permit applications automatically approved if an agency has not acted upon the application within 120 days
Please sign the petition and tell your legislators to say YES to much needed ADU housing by supporting SB 831.
Photo credit: ADU by Valley Home Development
Today: Rachele is counting on you
Rachele Trigueros needs your help with “California State Senate: Approve legislation to ease creation of in-law units across California”. Join Rachele and 653 supporters today.