California Nursery Historic Park or City revenue generating Event Center ... YOU DECIDE
This petition had 114 supporters
A BRIEF HISTORY: In 2014 the process to update and enhance the park began and a meeting was held at the park. The City hired architectural consultants to assist in showing Option 1 to all who attended. The Option 1 presented to that meeting is drastically different from the final proposed option being presented to the city council meeting on April 11 for approval. What started out as a park, (definition below), has become a REVENUE GENERATING EVENT AREA FOR FREMONT with seven event areas that can be filled with large corporate or private functions in the various proposed indoor and outdoor meeting spaces, or wedding celebrations and private parties! The necessity for such facilities is completely unsubstantiated and the impact on all local resources has not been given adequate consideration.
THERE ARE TOO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:
1. DEFINITION OF A PARK: an area of land, usually in a largely natural state, for the enjoyment of the public, having facilities for rest and recreation. HOW IS THE PROPOSED DESIGN ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DEFINITION?
2. PARKING: The current final plan has seven event areas, both indoor and outdoor, that can bring in crowds of up to 1083 people with 218 parking spaces. The city has stated event attendees will carpool, take public transit, or bus to the event. This is not realistic. There is no large scale mass transit within walking distance. In fact Union City BART is over 2 miles away. Assuming that 1083 people will not fit into 218 cars then inevitably cars will be parked on the streets in the neighborhoods creating a significant impact on the local community. WHERE WILL ALL THESE PEOPLE PARK AND WHO WILL MONITOR EVENT ATTENDEES AND PREVENT THEM FROM PARKING IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS?
3. TRAFFIC: the current Environmental Impact Report (EIR) states that traffic has a “less than significant impact” on the community. Currently the Nursery, Niles Blvd and Mission Blvd area are at one of the highest level congestion categories for traffic during the morning and afternoon rush hours, Monday through Friday. How many of us have had to change our routines when returning home or leaving Niles due to traffic? Now add these plans to our Saturdays and Sundays becoming 7 days a week congestion!!! Where is their EIR getting their data? City traffic Engineer, Han Larsen, spoke at the Recreation Commission to discuss this very issue. The plan he referenced was regarding the “silent crossing” at Nursery which has nothing to do with traffic. This project has been in the works with Fremont planning for the past 7 years with still no firm date for completion. HOW WILL ANY OF THE CITIES TRAFFIC PLANS HELP TRAFFIC CONGESTION CAUSED BY THIS PROJECT?
4. NOISE: Today we enjoy quiet evening and weekends in a mature neighborhood with residential homes surrounding three sides of this beautiful piece of property. This proposal has areas in the park where up to 7 events can happen simultaneously, with 1083 people who do not have to stop their activities until a proposed 10PM. WHO WILL MONITOR THE EVENTS WHEN MUSIC OR PEOPLE BECOME TOO LOUD IN THESE OUTDOOR EVENTS? WILL THE POLICE OR THE PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENTS (WHO ARE USUALLY CLOSED AFTER 5PM DURING WEEKDAYS AND CLOSED ON WEEK-ENDS) BE ON HAND? WILL THIS BECOME TROUBLESOME AND CAUSE STRAINED RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE COMMUNITY AND THE CITY? WHO WILL BE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE?
5. NURSERY: Residents of Fremont have grown to value the availability of a local nursery, potentially Regan’s, as they improve their homes and gardens. DOES THIS PLAN INCLUDE CONSIDERATION IN THESE PLANS FOR THE 3 ACRES REQUIRED FOR A VIABLE NURSERY?
6. CONSTRAINTS: WHERE ARE THE CONSTRAINTS ON THE USE OF THE PROPOSED FACILITIES TO ENSURE ANY REVENUE GENERATION HAS MINIMAL IMPACT ON, AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH, THE LIFESTYLE AND NEEDS OF THE LOCAL COMMUNITY?
YOUR VOICE COUNTS! JOIN US AT THE CITY COUNCIL MEETING, APRIL 11TH
Today: Theresa is counting on you
Theresa DeAnda needs your help with “California Nursery Historic Park or City revenue generating Event Center ... YOU DECIDE”. Join Theresa and 113 supporters today.