Free community college in Illinois for those w/ a combined family income under $50,000/yr
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
In the modern world the new high school education is a college degree. It is just no longer feasible that citizens can make middle-class wages without higher education. Even factory floor jobs in the US now require technical post-high school degrees. Government funded education has been constantly increasing since the foundation of the US. Starting with elementary, then high school, and now is the time to expand to 2 year colleges. Here are some of the largest reasons why community college should be made free in Illinois:
- Not only does this exist in several counties around the world (Germany, Sweden, Switzerland), but it also has been proven in the US as well with increased graduation rates in Tennessee and New York.
- Many colleges and universities used to be free in the US. University of California offered free up education all the way until 1980.
- Average college tuition was $243/year at 4 year public universities in 1965. Now it is $24,930/year for out of state residents.
- The federal government will make over $110 billion on college loans in the next decade.
- Only 60% of community college students currently apply for federal aid. The current system is too confusing for many who need the help. This would guarantee free college for all who need it.
Please sign this petition to the Governor of Illinois, Bruce Rauner, which urges him to consider free community college for those who are impoverished in Illinois.
Today: James is counting on you
James Rodriguez needs your help with “Bruce Rauner: Free community college in Illinois for those with a combined family income < $50,000/yr”. Join James and 1,592 supporters today.