No Schools Named After Slaveholders! Start with Changing Devotion School Name!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
WE NEED TO ACT NOW AND IN AN INCLUSIVE MANNER!
- EDWARD DEVOTION WAS A SLAVEHOLDER IN BROOKLINE UNTIL HIS DEATH
- HE GIFTED PROPERTY TO THE TOWN
- THE DEVOTION SCHOOL IS NAMED AFTER HIM
- THERE MAY BE OTHER SCHOOLS NAMED AFTER SLAVEHOLDERS
WHY THIS MATTERS . . .
- AS A SOCIETY WE’RE REEXAMINING STATUES AND OTHER MEMORIALS AND THE LEGACY THEY REPRESENT
- WHEN THE TOWN JOINED THE GOVERNMENT ALLIANCE FOR RACE AND EQUITY (GARE), IT AGREED TO ELIMINATE INSTITUTIONAL RACISM AND PROMOTE EQUITY
- WHAT MESSAGE ARE WE SENDING OUR CHILDREN BY CONTINUING TO HONOR A SLAVEHOLDER?
LET’S . . .
- BEGIN A TOWN-WIDE CONVERSATION, INCLUSIVE OF ALL VIEWS
- AGREE ON A SCHOOL NAME MORE BEFITTING OUR CHILDREN, THE TOWN AND OUR LEGACY
- FIND A MORE APPROPRIATE WAY TO ACKNOWLEDGE EDWARD DEVOTION
- SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE TO ALL THAT WE ARE THE PROGRESSIVE AND INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY WE PROFESS TO BE
Today: Deborah is counting on you
Deborah Brown needs your help with “Brookline School Committee: No Schools Named After Slaveholders! Start with Changing Devotion School Name!”. Join Deborah and 141 supporters today.