To make all plastics in the UK recyclable by 2026

To make all plastics in the UK recyclable by 2026

0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!
At 150,000 signatures, this petition becomes one of the top signed on Change.org!

A common misconception is that we are destroying the earth; whilst we are indeed damaging the physical earth, what will not survive the current climate crisis is, ironically, the human race. The earth will eventually, although perhaps after billions of years, recover.

Plastics are destroying our future, our oceans, countless ecosystems and vital aspects of our lives that we need to survive. Plastics are being found everywhere, including the most remote places on Earth. This toxic waste is creeping its way into every corner of the planet. We have to do something about this. It may not be your fault, personally, but it is our problem in the long-run. I want to solve this problem. I hope you do too.

Only an average of 45% of plastics is recycled in the UK. This is far too low! This is because the other 55% are mainly non-recyclable materials. For example, plastic cups, plastic cutlery and crisp bags. All of these everyday items end up in our oceans and kill marine life in the most horrible ways. Why are we still handing out plastic bags in supermarkets and corner shops while supermarkets are destroying card board boxes that people can use? Scientists have estimated that by 2050 there may be more plastics in the ocean than fish. This predicted fate will arrive much faster than you think. You may already have heard of turtles that are suffocating on plastic bags that they are mistaking for jellyfish.

Marine life is not the only species suffering from eating plastics accidentally. Studies at Harvard Medical School have found that certain dangerous chemicals in the plastic can leach out from the plastics into the foods and drinks we consume. Some of these chemicals have been linked to potential health problems such as reduced fertility. The reason for this is that fish ingest microplastics every day and we then eat those fish. Microplastics from plastic waste slowly make their way to the sea and into the water cycle, and are being consumed by animals and fish that ultimately end up on our plates. Oceanographers have found microplastics in high quantities in shellfish such as mussels and scallops.

We need to turn our plastics mistake around and make all plastics recyclable or biodegradable before it's too late. We need to stop the consumer convenience of supermarket plastic bags. We need a massive PR campaign to educate the UK population about the benefits of recycling. We need to demand the industries to reduce the production of plastics. 

Join me in my dream to make all plastics recyclable by 2026 so that the world can be litter-free and buzzing with animals before this is irreversible. 

My name is Max, I am 12 years old. Let me ask you this question.

What makes you care about the future of the planet?

I care because I want my future to look green and happy. I want there to be wildlife and animals. I want there to be forest and flower meadows teeming with bees and other insects. If we continue on the path that we are on now, we are headed for a crisis.

So help me make a difference and sign this petition. Please share this petition with friends and family. No matter what age you are, you can help change the course. 

0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!
At 150,000 signatures, this petition becomes one of the top signed on Change.org!