Petition for Extension of Coronavirus Financial Support to all Self-Employed

Petition for Extension of Coronavirus Financial Support to all Self-Employed

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Tu Anh Chau started this petition to Boris Johnson (Prime Minister) and

Petition for Extension of Coronavirus Financial Support to all Self-Employed
 
Whole groups of self-employed who just exceed the £50,000 cap or have not been self-employed long enough are excluded from government handouts despite being just as worthy as other self employed or employed workers that are due hand outs from the government and have been paying just as much if not more tax.
 
Many professionals such as dentists, opticians, physiotherapists, and others are self employed and are in many cases making only just above the £50,000 per year cap and nowhere near the £200,000 average for the 5% of self-employed not entitled to handouts as the Chancellors implies.  All these professionals are unable to work from home as the very nature of their jobs are face-to-face.
 
Also for those who have only recently switched to self-employed are finding themselves are unable to claim support.  Yet they pay their taxes just like everyone else.
 
Especially for those families living in London, after taxes have been paid, £50,000 does not go that far and many of the people in these categories do not have large savings to fall back on. 
 
It seems particularly biased that there is a cap on government handouts for self-employed where no such cap for employed is in place. Many self-employed find themselves just above this cap, unable to work and unable to claim any benefits at all. The government tells us that 95% of all self-employed will receive handouts, so would it really be such a great additional burden to the government to cover the remaining 5%?
 
We have already been told that tax rates for the self-employed will go up after things return to normal. Adding further insult to injury, not only do we receive no help, but if our businesses do manage to survive, we’ll be paying for everyone else’s handouts in increased taxes for years.
 
There are many families where both parents are self-employed, who will not receive any handouts from the government if they are excluded as detailed above.  Similar families with both parents who are employed have in many cases been able to continue work from home and have the added safety net of handouts for the employed if they cannot work and will receive up to £5,000 per month! On the other hand, the self-employed who have been excluded by the Chancellor’s criteria have been abandoned.
 
The Chancellor states that we do not have to pay our taxes until January 2021. If we have no financial support and no income from work and are still expected to pay our mortgages and bills, how will we be able to afford to pay our tax in January 2021 based on our 2019/2020 earnings?
 
We need to support these people so their businesses do not collapse and they do not lose their homes, so they can continue to work after this crisis and continue to pay taxes after this is all over to help the recovery.
 
We suggest government handouts at 80% of our trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months and extended if needed, for all self-employed who have been paying taxes for the last year.  If anyone has tax records for 2-3 years, then by all means use an average of that.  But don’t limit it to those who can only provide 3 years of tax records.
 
We implore the Chancellor to correct this gross inequality by removing the caps on handouts for self-employed, so that all hardworking British citizens, whether they are employed or self-employed, all receive a fair and equitable level of assistance at this unprecedented time of crisis.
 

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!