Why this petition matters
* This petition has been started to demand that Hernando county sheriff Al Nienhuis start requiring all Hernando county sheriff deputies and active support staff (that work with the public) body worn cameras. Outside of having something to hide there is no reason at this point for him to not want this as well, after many years of other counties and other states using them there is an amazing amount of data that has been collected that says the Camaras do far more good than anything else.
* Police body cameras improve police accountability and lower reports of police misconduct. Police body cameras provide visual and audio evidence that can independently verify events
* Most law enforcement agencies around the country have determined that implementing body cameras with their officers is as practical as carrying a firearm. There is no longer a plausible debate to the contrary. Sheriff Chris Nocco of the Pasco Sheriff's Office employed the use of body cams over six years ago and it has been an overwhelming success. Officials say the number of complaints and lawsuits filed against the agency has dropped exponentially and when one of his deputies does something wrong, the appropriate discipline can be swiftly carried out.
* According to the BJS report, the main reasons (about 80% each) that local police and sheriffs' offices had acquired body-worn cameras were to improve officer safety, increase evidence quality, reduce civilian complaints, and reduce agency liability.
* With all this being said please help by signing this petition, thank you