Negative Effects on Turangi
This petition had 1,549 supporters
As a group we support and encourage responsible commercial/industrial developments designed to enhance this unique region. Turangi is the gateway to Tongariro National Park, a World Heritage site containing the world famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The Tongariro National Trout Centre is located on the pristine Tongariro River, another internationally known feature of the town.
It is our responsibility to ensure that this natural environment is protected for the future and believe the proposed plan made by the Holmes Group has the potential to ruin this distinctive area of New Zealand. Holmes Group are submitting a plan to Taupo District Council to change land from residential to commercial on the corner of State Highway 1 and Te Arahori Street, on the Tongariro River side of SH1. A positive response from Taupo District Council will allow the Holmes Group to build not only a BP Service Station including 103 carparks, campervan parks and a truck stop. They also intend to build a fast food drive through outlet at this location and all traffic will be driving in from and exiting the facility back on to a quiet residential street.
This is not progress, Our concerns include:
- Environmental considerations of our world famous fishery and its continued water quality
- Health and safety risks of bunkering of fuel and natural gas.
- Unsightly welcome into town for visitors, one large petrol/fast food and grocery outlet already exist on the west side of the highway
- Increased traffic on residential streets, creating public safety issues
- Dangers associated with traffic and pedestrians attempting to cross SH1 from Te Arahori Street into Turangi town Centre
- Limited access for trucks in and out of Te Arahori Street back onto the highway
- A lack of notification and consultation with the wider community regarding the change of zoning from residential to commercial.
- The negative impact on businesses and livelihoods in the Turangi town centre when potential visitors discover the dangers of attempting to cross into highway traffic to access
- Impacting on businesses (job losses) and the potential growth of the town centre (commercial area) due to shopping at the Service Center instead of in town
- 24 hour noise and light pollution into the neighboring residential areas of the proposed facility
- The negative impact on immediate residences and the wider residential community of Taupahi Road as this will be a 24/7, 365 day per year business
See updates on our website: www.turangi.org.nz
Please provide donations ONLY on the givealittle page here: Givealittle or email us directly: email@example.com. Do not place sizable donations on the online petition as they do not help with legal costs - which is why we need the money.
HPOG Incorporated Society
The purposes of the Society are to:
a. Object to any steps taken by Taupo District Council to allow a BP station and fast food outlet as proposed by the Holmes Group for the corner of State Highway 1 and Te Arahori Street; and object to any commercial development of the type proposed by the Holmes Group for residential land in any part of Turangi between State Highway 1 and the Tongariro River (“Riverside area”).
b. Protect and preserve the special character of the Riverside area.
c. Develop, coordinate and carry out any activities that the managing committee agrees will contribute to achieving the Society's purposes.
In the event that legal action becomes necessary to prevent the Holmes Group’s proposal for Turangi from proceeding, HPOG Turangi Inc will be the lawyers' Client. Any costs associated with such legal action are covered by HPOG Turangi Inc's fundraising endeavours. Individual members will not be held liable for legal fees.
Today: Holmes Proposal Opposition Group - HPOG is counting on you
Holmes Proposal Opposition Group - HPOG needs your help with “Board Chair - Community Board”. Join Holmes Proposal Opposition Group - HPOG and 1,548 supporters today.