Oppose the Australian War Memorial's plan for $498m extensions
This petition had 1,231 supporters
- The money would be better spent on direct benefits to veterans and their families, other cultural institutions, overseas aid to war-torn countries, or other areas of pressing need.
- The extensions favour the Memorial over other national institutions, even though it presents only a small part of our rich national history.
- The extensions will destroy the Memorial’s character and entail the demolition of the award-winning Anzac Hall.
- Much of the extended space will be taken up with a grandiose foyer and space for decommissioned planes and helicopters which do little to promote an understanding of Australia’s wars.
- The planned direct feed on current Defence Department activities is totally inappropriate in a war memorial.
- The plan has been pushed through with a minimum of public consultation.
- PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT ASKING YOU TO MAKE A DONATION OR CONTRIBUTION. IF YOU WISH TO 'PROMOTE THIS PETITION' AFTER YOU SIGN, THAT IS UP TO YOU. IT GETS THE PETITION TO MORE PEOPLE.
Today: David is counting on you
David Stephens needs your help with “Bill Shorten: Oppose the Australian War Memorial's plan for $498m extensions”. Join David and 1,230 supporters today.