Stop Capital University Concealed Carry
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
The #CapFam is greater than just Capital University students, staff, and administration. It includes the community of Bexley, Capital University alumni, family members, our network of community leaders & partners across Columbus.
We, a coalition of organizations, students, staff and the greater Bexley community, believes that SB 1, erroneously titled “No More Victims,” misrepresents the University’s purpose and directly contradicts the values of the organizations and students herein represented. This coalition supports genuine efforts to improve the safety and representation of survivors of campus violence. We call on our peers and community members to join us in opposition to the spirit and intent of this legislation.
We, as members of the #CapFam, adamantly oppose the legislation known as SB 1 regarding concealed carry on campus and publicly address the following concerns with the said legislation.
- The blatant disregard for student interest in the creation of this legislation is evident by the lack of student input and open forums regarding the content of SB 1 prior to its proposal to Student Government. Not only are student interests being disregarded, but the proposal is a misrepresentation of university values. As an institution with purpose, Capital University challenges members of its community to ask, think, and lead. Without the input of students and by only a small number of students speaking on behalf of all students, we feel these values are being misrepresented.
- This legislation is inappropriately produced and proposed to the Student Government Senate Legislation drafted an hour prior to the Senate meeting without ample time for research by voting senators and without the knowledge of absent senators has no place in our representative body.
- By being a part of the Capital University community, students and faculty also belong to the Bexley community at large. Decisions of this magnitude and controversial nature affect the Bexley community, as well as our own. Calling for a vote regarding concealed carry without research and consultation from the Bexley community is damaging to the relationship the University holds with community members.
- This proposal and the language used in it are damaging to survivors of all forms of violence. The proposal calls for the safety of students while using damaging terminology and without appropriate agency for survivors. Survivors should not be silenced and spoken for but should be given a platform to advocate for their needs and cared for by our community. Speaking for one survivor should not be twisted into the views of all survivors.
- The legislation proposed cites affirmative research without citing research in refutation of the presented argument. Thoughtful, intentional legislation includes research and debate from all sides. With the disregard for proper procedure and lack of ample time prior to the vote, sufficient research could not be presented or discussed. Rigorous, educated, and research-based discussion should follow controversial, sensitive legislation such as that proposed.
We, the signers of this petition, believe that an integral part of Capital University's purpose is to remain a safe, open, and involved member of the Bexley community. Stand by us and oppose this legislation.
Today: Capital University Progressive Action Coalition is counting on you
Capital University Progressive Action Coalition needs your help with “firstname.lastname@example.org: Stop Capital University Concealed Carry”. Join Capital University Progressive Action Coalition and 648 supporters today.