Creating a bikeable community is a very reachable goal, but it takes time and effort. Becoming truly "bicycle friendly" means more than just adding isolated bike lanes to a few major streets. It requires an interconnected network of bikeways that make bicycling easy, safe, and fun. But no one person or one group will be able to make all of this possible. This petition primarily serves as a call to all people and groups who care about improving Berks County – and who care about bicyclists (the moms, dads, doctors, teachers, children, grandparents in our communities). Sign the petition because you believe that, together, we can celebrate all that is good in our region – and work together to make things even better.
Our signatures represent our desire for The County to join all of us in our efforts to build a Bicycle Friendly Berks County.
· Let’s set a goal to increase the number of people who bicycle more often, more safely.
· Let’s work together to build a safe and convenient bicycle network of on and off-street facilities, low-speed streets, and secure parking.
· Let’s jointly promote the many benefits of bicycling to tourists, residents and businesses
· Let’s help the County set an example by providing parking, showers and lockers, and other good bicycling goals such as establishing a city bicycle fleet or bike-share program.
· Let’s join our efforts and resources together to help the county improve policies, plans, codes, and programs to take advantage of every opportunity to create a more bicycle-friendly community.
· Let’s find ways to provide trainings to better enable leaders to build a bicycle friendly Berks.
· Let’s advertise existing programs that educate all road users to share the road and interact safely.
· Let’s focus efforts to enforce traffic laws to improve the safety and comfort of all road users, with a particular focus on behaviors and attitudes that cause motor vehicle/bicycle crashes.
· Let’s empower our school boards and school communities to operate sustainable Safe Routes to Schools programs
· Let’s rally a promotion of intermodal travel between public transport and bicycles. BARTA has already secured funding for putting bike racks on buses!
· Let’s establish a committee for nonmotorized mobility to submit to the Commissioners a regular evaluation and action plan for completing the items in this Plan.