Counter the request for restarting the cracked reactors Tihange 2 and Doel 3
0 have signed. Let’s get to 300,000!
In August 2012 thousands of cracks were discovered during an inspection of the reactor pressure vessels (RPV) of the Belgian nuclear power plants Doel 3 and Tihange 2.
Even before all necessary tests were carried out, the 30-year-old reactors were started up again in June 2013!
When the missing test results were present, these were so badly that the reactors were shut down non-scheduled immediately in March 2014. Now the operator (Electrabel) wants to restart both units in July 2015, despite the highly alarming findings:
- The latest ultrasound tests show 60% more defects. The crack lengths rose from 2.5 cm to unbelievable 18 cm.
- Tests at the Nuclear Research Center Mol led to "unexpected results" (quote Electrabel): A with cracks preloaded steel embrittles many times faster by irradiation than material without defects. In the tests the by the operator factored in safety margins were exceeded dramatically.
For more information: www.stop-tihange.org
We appeal to you at FANC to decide for the safety of millions of people.
For us as affected citizens close to these reactors it is necessary:
As long as
- the cause of the cracks in the two RPVs can not be proven beyond doubts and a change of the crack sizes during operation can not definitely be excluded,
- the irradiation tests give reason to suspect that the embrittlement of the steel of the cracked RPVs has already exceeded the permissible limits by its operation during the last 30 years,
- no proof exists that "reactors with cracks" have the same level of safety than "reactors without cracks",
Doel 3 and Tihange 2 must never be restarted again!
We know that a meltdown will have serious consequences for Belgium and its bordering countries.
Note on supporting this petition
Please spread this petition via email and social networks. If you have signed, you get the offer to send the petition to other members of the network. This is combined with a (small) donation. These donations don't go to us as the initiators of the petition but to change.org. We think change.org is worthy of support.
Today: Stop is counting on you
Stop Tihange & Doel needs your help with “Belgian Nuclear Regulatory Authority FANC (Federal Agency for Nuclear Control): Counter the request for restarting the cracked reactors Tihange 2 and Doel 3”. Join Stop and 278,544 supporters today.