Save Money, Save Lives!
Save Money, Save Lives!
What if we told you that you have the opportunity to be a part of saving the community millions of dollars? Or if we said we have an opportunity to save lives in our community? What if both were true... Would you want to be a part of that? If the answer is yes, then we hope to be getting your signature at the end of this document!
- According to the most recent Canadian Statistics Survey, nearly 21.2% of Canadians will at some point meet the criteria for some type of substance misuse disorder. To put that into perspective, that would mean almost 25,000 people in Abbotsford would suffer from substance misuse at some point in their lives.
- The government is spending more money on putting convicts with substance misuse issues back in jail than it would cost to extend treatment and reduce rates of recidivism.
- Did you know that 70% (most likely even higher than 70%) of offenders entering the federal corrections system have, one year prior to incarceration, used alcohol and/or other drugs in a problematic manner? (Corrections Services of Canada)
- Research shows that the costs associated with extending Residential Treatment duration from 30 - 90 days to 6 months, plus a further 6 months on-site supportive housing, would cost less than we are currently paying each time we put a previously incarcerated individual back in prison.
- Its costs, on average, $115,000 per prisoner in federal prison and an average of $67,000 in a provincial facility.
- Wider effects: rates of domestic violence go up, overdoses, homelessness rates rise; therefore, costing us taxpayers more money.
- In 2014, substance misuse ALONE cost Canadians more than 38 billion dollars. This number encompasses costs in health care, the criminal justice system, and lost productivity among other things.
Now you may be thinking: why is this my problem? Why should I care? When we look at the numbers above, it's clear to us that this is a MASSIVE social problem that needs to be addressed immediately. Together we can all be apart of a movement towards positive change in our communities. By signing this petition YOU can help encourage the government to extend residential treatment stays. By supporting this grassroots campaign you are helping our friends, family, classmates, co-workers and possibly yourself receive a brighter future ahead. LET'S BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION!