Baylor’s policy of weekly mandatory testing of all students is among the most aggressive testing in the state. It goes above and beyond CDC recommendations and Governor Abbott's directives. Why is Baylor implementing testing that is more aggressive than most healthcare workers are being subjected to? Now that Abbott has ended the mask mandate we feel it is time for Baylor to allow students free choice in that decision as well. Anyone wishing to continue wearing a mask should feel free to do so. If Baylor refuses to end these mandates we would like our concerns addressed in an open and transparent forum. These are some of the answers we are seeking from Baylor's administrative body:
1. What is the PCR cycle threshold cut off for a positive test that Baylor is using? How is Baylor actively curtailing false positives?
2. How does Baylor reconcile mandated PCR testing when it violates federal Emergency Use Authorization regulations?
3. What are we getting from the PCR testing that we couldn't get out of a voluntary serology study instead?
4. What is the exit plan to discontinue masks and testing?
5. Can we see the research Baylor is relying on to support all of these policies?
6. Baylor just opened a multi-million dollar onsite COVID testing lab. Can we be reassured there are no conflicts of interest as it pertains to the mandatory testing?
7. Can parent's obtain the informed consent students signed to participate in mandated testing?
These concerns are driven by our love and support of Baylor University, for the students, and all faculty and staff.